428 CJ is alive

Twin_Turbo

Der Maulwurf
It's finally running but what a struggle it was.

2496a499bf15c3.jpg

2496a487fd0c7d.jpg

During building the Comp Cams shaft rocker system proved to be a waste of money. They don't offer solid spacers (not even talking about not having shims on the sides so the springs don't dig into the soft alu, this is a HALF ASSED KIT....oh, and if you wonder about the crane mentioned below, the comp junk is MORE expensive for LESS parts) but reply on the springs between the rockers and you reuse the weak stock stands. Might be a problem with the cam that was going in but worse, those springs don't keep the rocker from walking right off the valve. What to do... buy crane stuff. The 1st set of crane shaft rockers that arrived was too tight, the rockers would not fit the shaft, as would the stands. Crane provided a hand fit set of shafts, rockers and stands without argument for free. TOP notch customer service from them. After messing about with getting the proper push rods ordered (somehow when ordering 8.25" cup and ball end pushrods from Jegs they send you 6.25" unfinished ones and have 7.25" on the invoice...strange or what) Anyway, got the proper pushrods and in the engine went.

The next hurdle, somehow with the edel heads the engine won't fit in the engine bay. The hooker headers ride up against the shock towers. Edel claims the outside dims of the heads are the same as the stockers, weird because it did fit with the original iron heads. It was tight but it did fit. The solution was to custom fabricate some new motor mounts and move the motor up 3/8". The headers are still against the towers but there's no other way.
Another problem now is that the already super tight stock MC doesn't fit. I modified a C5 corvette one to fit, modifying the bolt holes into slots and shortening the booster pushrod. Now the reservoir needs to be offset a little...morefor the "to do" list but nothing that can't be overcome. At least it's running, and running strong too. Throttle response is awesome :)

As soon as the alu driveshaft is back from shortening (everything goes wrong with these stangs, you order a custom ..I think it was 46.5" u joint center to center shaft with a C6 slip yoke, what do mustangs plus send? yup, a 48.5" shaft and a C4 slip yoke. Their reasoning, the C4 slip yoke is 2" shorter, it's not..there's a 2" unused non splined extenton on the front...and because it's a custom order no refund.. AS%$#$^#%^#^%$# :) )

I could go on about that magnificent total control products rack & pinion with KRC pumps. Turns out, the pump doesn't fit an AC car. OOPS, they never bothered to check if it did. Their test mule didn't have AC. Solution is in the making, between a small pulley sanden compressor and some messing about with custom brackets it should fit soon.

So....it's running hoorah!!!

2496a48d9a774d.jpg

2496a490923c88.jpg\

That double pumper was seriously misadjusted. Came from the 428CJ on the Cyclone. Some moron in Germany worked on it and said the carb was shot, couldn't get the engine running. Well, if you turn all the adjuster screws in all the way...it's gonna run like crap (or not at all). nice black stains :D

[ame]http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=7244838676639479669[/ame]

[ame]http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=4194397144353105353[/ame]

[ame]http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=-5507415528967891314[/ame]

Sweet - my son would love that motor in his '70 Mustang Coupe. I think my other boy might want it in his '67 Fairlane too.

Funniest looking Vette oil pan I ever seen, weird looking engine too....

what IS that???

:yahoo:

Weird looking oil pan indeed, poor clearance too...and sweating oil/staining also. This was my remedy: (the weird walls on the sides are for trap doors, they are hung there with steel wire through the little holes, talk about cheap)

2496b934b6f71a.jpg

Same for the tranny pan:

2496b93802da8a.jpg

Larry, Pontiacs too :) (455 HO)

2496b93b5918a9.jpg

Listen closely to that first video....you will hear the engine saying ZOOOOM ZOOOOM when the throttle is blipped.