Matching color...

When they mixed the paint to the code (6323 I believe) it was an almost ok match, not far off but a little too dark.
It actually got worse after they "matched" it to my fuel door:

214c2e836a3004f.jpg

I'll have to buy another QT of the LeMansBlue for the '79. I can't use the paint that they "matched" - at least I know that that color will be the same since I bought it at the same store (mixed to the paintcode)....

I'll go back to the store with the old bumper cover, they can try again to "match" it....

BTW, I took that photo BEFORE I added black to darken the blue... I'll have to post another pic that shows what it looks like now....

Last edited:
What SMYDA said, they should be able to lighten it or darken it by a certain percentage using the toner colors with a machine. I would throw your tinted paint to the side for interior pieces and buy a new quart, have them tint it slowly. Like 10% at a time. Don't forget, the paint will dry darker, so let it dry before you flip out.

I mixed some paint the other day, I remember it was an off yellow color, and the machine shot out yellow, red, but mostly brown to mix it. Never would have guess there would have been twice as much brown as yellow to make a yellow color.

I have been told a couple of times by people in various paint business types....household crap like latex and then by a car paint place....

that no two cans of paint are the same color.....

I go to any paint store, look at the color choices...., methinks it's true.....:surrender: any doubt, multiply what you see, by the number or paint manufacturers......:suicide:

I would throw your tinted paint to the side for interior pieces and buy a new quart, have them tint it slowly.

Hey hey :lol:

you don't think I added the black to the whole Qt ??? I poured 4oz into a mixing cup and added a few drops black.... improved it but not much....

It really depends on the light - in direct sunlight the factory LeMansBlue is bright blue, in partial shade it has a little purple tint... the shopline paint that i got does not have any purple, obviously not easy to match.... when I look at my car like at 9PM the color matches just fine :lol:

I'll be back at the store some time this week....

Try to always do your color matching in Natural Sunlight. Florescent light will
throw a color off. I've had colors look perfect in my garage under Florescent,
but then pull them outside and they no longer match. Sunlight admits ALL
the colors of the Rainbow so it brings out ALL the colors/toners in your
Mix/Paint code color. Most artificial lights do not give off all the colors so there
fore it will not bring out the colors of the mix...... Hope this makes sense.

This is why the high dollar paint booths have those pricey lights that imitate
sunlight.

To explain a little better what I said earlier on High Pressure spraying versus Low.
Pressure doesn't actually "CHANGE" a color but does change the Appearance of
the color. When you use a higher pressure the paint tends to be drier so the
metallics will stay on the surface. Therefore you see more metal flake and less
color giving the color a lighter appearance. Lower pressure makes the paint
"wet" and the metallics sink into the color so you see MORE color and less
flake so now it appears darker. Ever seen a repair job were the color looked
good but the metallic didn't match??

As said earlier ... you would be amazed at what all goes into a particular color.
Without a mixing system it is going to be very difficult to tint colors.
A do-it-yourself-er is certainly at the mercy of the jobber.

I went back to the store today and showed them a few photos and a Bondo mixing plate that I painted with the "matched" blue. We agreed it does not match :)

They told me to bring the old bumper and they'll match it again, I'll spray a few test panels like my mixing board first before painting the bumper again and make sure it matches. :1st:

Anyways, bought another pint Le Mans Blue, same paint code, for the front of the '79 (fender flares). I sprayed a test panel when I got home and surprise: that blue matches the 2006 just fine - I assume something went wrong the first time they mixed the paint....

Now I'll have them match the Qt that is tinted to the test panel I sprayed with the new (pt) blue that I got today.... what a mess....

While I was spraying today I sprayed "wet" and "dry" with a 1.3mm tip and ultra slow reducer. Maybe I need glasses but I don't see much difference between the two panels that I sprayed.... maybe the "wet" is a little darker.... not much if any....

One good thing about it: I'm getting better and better the more I paint... :1st::1st:

looks like I finally got it done.... it's matching pretty good:

214c374f9e036ba.jpg

I sprayed the base coat "wet" - almost to the point where it runs... :clap::clap::clap:

looks like I finally got it done.... it's matching pretty good:

214c374f9e036ba.jpg

I sprayed the base coat "wet" - almost to the point where it runs... :clap::clap::clap:

How come that trunk lid looks like it's been sanded....

:eek:

HUmm....gotta be the first time I ever saw a pix do a DISservice to a car....

most all car pix and mucho better then reality...

:goodevil:

best looking bumper for a C6, love that spoiler :thumbs:

I like the design too, reason why I bought this bumper in the first place... too bad the quality simply sux and requires all this extra work. I expected much more from a company like Lingenfelter - everything I bought from less expensive sources like Ecklers or Vanacor was top notch so far.

Again: now that all the imperfections are fixed and the color matches finally I couldn't be happier :bounce::bounce:

so how did you blend it? I have to blend the whole back of my 1990 in arctic white.

driversdoor21.jpg

waxedwhite5.jpg

badarea1.jpg

badarea5.jpg