MegaSquirt

J. Abbott

Has anyone built one of these. I am thinking about it but it depends on how much control I get over items.

Back long about 90-92 or so I talked to Bruce Bowling on the phone off some tip I got over aftermarket FI controller computer, this was WAY before the advent of the MegaSquirt system....so had an affinity for the system because he was a good help to me on some FI install or other....
did 2-3 of them back in that time frame.....from scratch in my garage...

Later I tried to replace the stockish '91 Speed Density computer maybe 5 years ago, trying to figger out WTF was the matter with my rough idle on the '72 vette here....it was the cam, but that's another story...

at any rate, the computer assembled just fine, but I"m an old ET from 60 years ago by now, and so had all the gear and experiences with PC boards and soldering, so no sweat there, one of the fellows here was nice enough to send/loan me a checkout jig for operational functions....it checked out fine...

BUT, at that time, the MS system had a old antiquated serial D 9 pin connector on it, and so it was hard as hell to find a laptop to hook up and talk to it....I managed to find a buddy with a old laptop that would talk to it, but it was SO old, it took floppy discs to store data on, but for some damn reason I couldn't get it to transmit to the guys over the web....the sales agents in Georgia.....

so after messing around for about 6 weeks with it, various D to USB adaptors that didn't work, countless hours fucking with computer code I knew NOTHING about....and fruitless long distance conversations....

I gave up, the symptoms were for MY car, that the thing would start more or less ok, run rough as crap, then when engine hit operating temp it would DIE on the spot, and not run until cooler, going from open loop to closed, I would imagine....

went back to stock system and endured years more of rough idle and so forth....

finally changed the crappy TPIS roller cam due to the thing losing it's hardened surfacing, and having a stock L98 cam here from TT here the engine is FINE now, had to get a stockish chip for the factory computer.....

SO, not to bother with it, unless they updated to a grenade proof USB port so you can use a modern laptop and not have all these .commmmmmm problems I could not surmount....

THAT .com shituation is what scares me most about the programming, and even IF the laptop screen came up with all that jibberish....well, best of luck....

:crutches::mad:

I've installed megasquirt on two different cars. You get control over just about everything.
What setup are you thinking about putting it on? There are many versions of it now.

I've installed megasquirt on two different cars. You get control over just about everything.
What setup are you thinking about putting it on? There are many versions of it now.

How did you get it to .com with your laptop?? use the serial D or do they have USB on it now?

:bonkers:

MS3 has both
ms3case-serial.jpg