DIY seat upholstery

denpo

Carburated Nihilist
Being a DIYer at core, I had yet another crazy idea today, make my own seat cover since I'm pretty good with sewing machines.
Most of the tips found on internet can be summed up my : take the existing seat cover out, unstitch it and use parts as pattern.
I'm up for this, the trouble is I don't want to risk that on my not-so-bad covers.
So I'm was wondering if anyone has a completely shot early C3 covers he's willing so sell for a cheap price.
If my attempt turns right I could maybe find a way to post the patterns and some instruction.

Being a DIYer at core, I had yet another crazy idea today, make my own seat cover since I'm pretty good with sewing machines.
Most of the tips found on internet can be summed up my : take the existing seat cover out, unstitch it and use parts as pattern.
I'm up for this, the trouble is I don't want to risk that on my not-so-bad covers.
So I'm was wondering if anyone has a completely shot early C3 covers he's willing so sell for a cheap price.
If my attempt turns right I could maybe find a way to post the patterns and some instruction.

the problem with your idea is foam gets flatened out and the vinyl stretches. better to buy unmounted covers and new foam .... save yourself the headaches

Repro - Vinyl covers are readily available.... now, if you get a good pattern from some OEM covers then try to make "real" leather covers... that would be really hot ...

I spend some $650 on "leatherette" covers for my Camaro, what a waste.... in hot weather (which is from March thru October here in sunny FL) you sweat like a pig on these seats... side question: do pigs sweat ????

same junk they offer for the Vettes... C4-C5, C6.... bottom line: this vinyl and "repro crap" leatherette junk is just not worth it....it looks nice but if you actually want to drive your car in 80F+ degrees weather.... ... :bs::bs::bs:

Repro - Vinyl covers are readily available.... now, if you get a good pattern from some OEM covers then try to make "real" leather covers... that would be really hot ...

I spend some $650 on "leatherette" covers for my Camaro, what a waste.... in hot weather (which is from March thru October here in sunny FL) you sweat like a pig on these seats... side question: do pigs sweat ????

same junk they offer for the Vettes... C4-C5, C6.... bottom line: this vinyl and "repro crap" leatherette junk is just not worth it....it looks nice but if you actually want to drive your car in 80F+ degrees weather.... ... :bs::bs::bs:

I bought leatherlike for my 1990 sport seats and like it.

I liked mine too when I first installed them, that was in spring.... by summer I hated them. Well, summer here is 100F and 99% humidity :surrender:

I "heard" that these guys use real leather:

http://www.katzkin.com/main.html

Not much humidity here so can't tell you what they would be like. I know they get hot in the sun though. Really, really, really hot !!!!! But they are black

I liked mine too when I first installed them, that was in spring.... by summer I hated them. Well, summer here is 100F and 99% humidity :surrender:

I "heard" that these guys use real leather:

http://www.katzkin.com/main.html

Not much humidity here so can't tell you what they would be like. I know they get hot in the sun though. Really, really, really hot !!!!! But they are black

I think mybad is a woose.....:eek::smash: I have the imitation leather pattern vinyl....dark saddle color....not so awful evil....

:stirpot::devil:

Got a Consew walking foot with arm reverse and table with both single and 3phase clutch motors. What the oems use.
400 bucks, but shipping would be a killer.

Got a Consew walking foot with arm reverse and table with both single and 3phase clutch motors. What the oems use.
400 bucks, but shipping would be a killer.
Thanks for the offer, but I already have access to professional sewing machine. What I'm looking for is a pair of original seat cover to mess with.

I just so happen to have a rather ratty red C3 leather seat that I cannbilized for parts, you are welcome to the seat covers, they would be just fine to use for pattern making. I think I may have posted a picture of the seat in last years Christmas giveaway.

Ok guys, looks like I'm having a case of "wife vs vette" here.
I told her about my upholstery project and she said : "not f***ing way, too much time for the seats, not enough for me".
Plus she really like the patina of those stock seats (holes and cuts included *sight*)
So I have to give up on that one.
Thanks a lot DeeVeeEight for your generous offer, I own you one.

I told her about my upholstery project and she said : "not f***ing way, too much time for the seats, not enough for me".
Plus she really like the patina of those stock seats (holes and cuts included *sight*)

:crap: Sorry to hear that man, it reminds me of that New York bitch I was married to years ago....

just impossible all the way, I ....oh never mind....

:drink::eek:

I gotta chime in here.

A car (or bike, or whatever) is just a machine, just a possesion.

IF you truly love your wife, IF you truly believe she's not fucking with you for her own personal gain, IF you truly believe she truly loves you---then she gets precedence. She (or they, in my case) are more important than any fucking possesion. A living, loving, creature should get priority over any inanimate object, no matter how much it means to you.
My car has been on hold for almost two years now, due to my involvement (read: $$$ & time) with my dog, my two kitties, and two women, all of whom are more important to me than my car. Their wellbeing is more important to me than my car's worn out smoking valve guides & alignment problems & etc. etc.

Just my thoughts, we now continue with our broadcast.......

John

Last edited:

I gotta chime in here.

IF you truly love your wife, IF you truly believe she's not fucking with you for her own personal gain, IF you truly believe she truly loves you---then she gets precedence. She (or they, in my case) are more important than any fucking possesion. A living, loving, creature should get priority over any inanimate object, no matter how much it means to you.
My car has been on hold for almost two years now, due to my involvement (read: $$$ & time) with my dog, my two kitties, and two women, all of whom are more important to me than my car. Their wellbeing is more important to me than my car's worn out smoking valve guides & alignment problems & etc. etc.

John

I totally agree, my wife, my dog and my friends are far more important than this car, that why I'm will stop this seat project.
She's already supportive well beyond my expectation, I just won't try to push it too far.

I finally can truthfully say I feel lucky to have found Linda here, #3, and so she is the kindest, sweetest, FUNNY chick in the world to live with...

and a handywoman to boot, little critter is game for most any project....

older of 2 daughters, she was the 'son' in the family, decades ago....

:drink:

I gotta chime in here.

John

I totally agree, my wife, my dog and my friends are far more important than this car, that why I'm will stop this seat project.
She's already supportive well beyond my expectation, I just won't try to push it too far.

She probably bought you new seat covers for Christmas and has them hidden for now....:loveletter:
And I totally agree too, a keeper (wife, girlfriend) is hard to find!

Maybe let her pic the color and material.
I actually saved my cut up ones for a pattern. It only took a couple hrs to sew new ones up. I would suggest using a drawstring on the base, like newer seats, rather than the clips. The foam tends to flatten and the drawstring allows more adjustability.
seat2.jpg
seat1.jpg