Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Chassis, Steering and Suspension

Old 04-14-2008, 10:03 PM
United States | Heart Attack

My Photos: (225)
Default front caster ?????

Since i rebuilt the ft end over the winter and replaced the old springs with 550# springs because the ft set to high,the ft end sets down where it should now,it dropped about an inch which is great,but how come my tires lean out at the top now?? i have put about 50 miles on it now hopping that it might settle a little bit,but no dice. Shouldnt the top of the tires come in from lowering the car instead of out?? is the front end of my car to light now?? maybe,alot of aluminum has been added to the ft which is why the ft came up. So i'm going to reset the caster,looks like i will have to add several shims to it,and what should i set the caster at??all street driving no racing,any help would be greatly appreciated

Speed kill's. So ignore the speed/o :

Those satisfactions are permanent

Everything is going too fast and not fast enough
Old 04-14-2008, 10:45 PM
Netherlands | Der Maulwurf

My Photos: (1296)

That's the camber setting, not caster. You need to add shims to the upper control arm shaft. As for caster, set as much as you can, meaning stack shims only on the rear and leave the front stud without shims. Check where it gets you, after that if you need more - camber start stacking both. You'll maybe get about 4 to 5 deg. caster at max.

BTW, read the stickies up top, there's some interesting articles there that may help you decide what settings you want.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
Old 04-15-2008, 02:37 AM

Thanks TT,yes it was camber i was after i still get those mixed up after all these years for some reason the camber on the drivers side was way off but pass was good,but all fixed now except for that damm steering wheel it was off to the left now its off to the right i will center it later.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:29 AM
United States | DREAD NAUGHT

My Photos: (24)

do you have a front end shopin the area, one that does laser alignment. For a possible 80 bux you'll get the total alignment correct. One tire cost more than a good laser alignment.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:58 PM

I'm sure there is one somewhere,but everybody i have talked too either did not want to touch the car or wanted over $300 bucks to align it,so i just bought the equipment and do my own alignments It's not very hard and does not take very long at all to do
Old 04-18-2008, 12:12 AM
United States | The Artist formerly known as Turbo84

My Photos: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
I'm sure there is one somewhere,but everybody i have talked too either did not want to touch the car or wanted over $300 bucks to align it,so i just bought the equipment and do my own alignments It's not very hard and does not take very long at all to do
Any pics of the equipment?
Old 04-18-2008, 12:53 AM

I don't have a pic of it,but i purchased it from Eastwood's
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

I also purchased the toe adapter for it,it comes with instructions and is pretty easy to use. i used it to set the ft end after rebuilding it and the car drives and tracks great.