Stahl Sbc headers

OZgreen69

I am trying to find some info about Stahl small block headers for road racing, did you guys ever used them and what do you think of them ?

I have at the moment some Doug's side pipes, and happy with. But in the process of replacing the steel inserts with a lighter set up, I was wondering if the Stahl system could be a better exhaust all together ?

Thanks in advance.

I have a set of the Stahl 180 degree headers, but haven't run them yet.
1269505a16e2ab2e1.jpg
They went out of business a few years back, so you'll have a tough time finding a New set - maybe some NOS around folks haven't installed yet. I dealt with Judy, and she was wonderful to work with. Her comment on my set was something like, "...not only will you like the power - you'll love the sound!"
Hopefully this spring I'll hear them.

Cheers - Jim

Well! they are being built again by ACP headers, in a lot of different styles (staggered).
But I would like to know how they compare to the rest.

Phantom I bet that your exhaust will sound similar to a GT40 302 :)

That's good news. I bet there was a deal made there. Stahl had a good rep in the hot rod and drag racing communities, but he was apparently a man who had a low tollerance for fools.

Judy suggested it would have a V-12 like sound. I'm waiting to here the "cacophony" I've created, withe those headers, a gear drive in the engine and the Webers. The sounds will be "interesting" I'm sure.

Can't help on a comparison, its been years since I had the hookers on, let alone run the engine.

Cheers - Jim

I guess not many of his users here. But I noted a good number of favorable comment over on the BRAND X forum. Cheers - Jim

Thierry do you have any pictures of your Dougs sidepipes? I have a set of Dougs long tubes on another car and I really liked the fit and quality. Nicer than my Hooker pipes...

Jim- VERY cool headers... Ill be anxiously waiting for the soundclip when you get them installed! I assume these are dry-sump only fitment?

Chris -

That would have been the right approach. I (we - my welder and I ) did a lot of mods to make them side exit -- and a further aft deep sump pan. Fact of the matter I could have gone dry sump for less $$, extra welding, pans, time, etc. Too late smart!

I'll shoot some pics this month as I restart the build. Be a bit until engine run - but I want to hear them too!

Cheers Jim

Chris, do you want to see something in particular? The car is on the hoist so easy to do :)

Jim, thanks for the info.

A general undercar shot would be great if you don't mind! Eventually I'll be converting whatever headers I run to be 180° like Jim's but there are a few collector designs that I like/don't like

Stahl 180 degree headers

Here are a few shots - still a "work in progress." I'm not sure Jere Stahl would have approved of the mods, but they fit and now go to a side exit vice the 4 tubes straight aft. Would have played havoc with the underbody Aero-Plans!

Pax upper shows the type of mods we needed to make for my application.
12695c1972559b3fa.jpg
Surprisingly, we were able to keep the tube lengths within an inch of each other - overall. Pretty lucky I'd say.
Here looking down the pax side - more mods, and you can see the new oil pan that was wider aft, but also further aft than the one I had. {BTW - the former is for sale now!}
12695c1972555db60.jpg
Not a lot to see on side exit, but the tubes go 4-into-2, then the 2 are exiting. Will swing 90 degree aft and run down under the side skirts - (think fancy no-step running boards!).
12695c1972557cf36.jpg
Drivers side is "not quite" a mirror of the pax;
12695c1972553b941.jpg
But you can see the work we had to do here too. Sure glad I know somebody that can TIG! Better still - he was committed to getting it right and I was real happy with the work.
This shot of the Drivers down shows a bit of work to still do. The headers after all the effort, still banged against the block/pan. SO I had another shop CNC a set of 1/2 AL spacers/anti-reversion/adapter - thingies, so no need to sort out a joining method under the pan. I think we'll be making and welding on (one side) Slip Joints. 12695c1972551c2e4.jpg

Lookin' like I'll have to double U-Joint the steering shaft. And, I still have to find some foot room somewhere too!

We could not have done this work without the use of some really cool header tools:

12695c19771e322c4.jpg

They go for about a hundred a set and I have two sets - that will let go for $100 + shipping -- Shameless sales plug - I know. I'll post in sales section full details tomorrow.

Cheers - Jim

maybe Jere Stahl was the first guy to make header design a science, he might have also been the guy who developed the reversion plate for 1-7/8 tubes although I have an old set of Hooker race headers with a similar plate, when it came time for headers on my latest motor I called Stahl who would not budge on design so I went to a local guy who built me triple step headers. hard to believe you couldn`t find a fabricator to build you a set of headers down under.

hard to believe you couldn`t find a fabricator to build you a set of headers down under.

I was thinkin' that too, but the big racers I know in OZ are all in Queensland (east coast). But some did travel west to Perth at least once a year - mostly dragsters. One was a super welder/builder - based in Bundy. Another mate in NZ build dragsters and ships to OZ.

Keep thinkin':
Number 8 Wire!

Cheers - Jim

Yes gents you are right! I can find someone here in Oz, but mainly East coast based. I know of some fabricators in my state but really opinionated about what to do or don't.
I want to keep the side exits they wont !! But I am not giving up, yet! As you know, lot of shops will say that they are the best, but rarely can back it up with facts .
And at the prices that they are asking for a set , I want proofs of efficiency of their systems first.
I have enough of blindly paying just to be disappointed later on.

Hence why I am looking at what is available of the shelf, maybe not the best but kind of easier .

Red, would you have please a picture of the triple steps header ?? I read articles from Grumpy web site about them and that really interest me .

Schoenfeld makes a bunch of Tri-Y headers for various blocks, and uses IMSA, Dirt, etc Give them a look-see and you'll get a good idea of the 4-2-1 setup. I note they run from just under 200 USD to well over 600 + shipping!

Maybe a set of flanges and take up TIG welding?
I've got those neat clamps for 1 5/8 tube!

Cheers - Jim

Wow - It just occurred to me! Flash of brilliance (it may fizzle, but here goes).

Bangkok Dean, a member here, was working stainless steel headers in Thailand. I don't know what his status is - or if I even remembered that right. But maybe drop him a note and see "what's-what." Side pipe headers stainless - can't be any better than that. A quick Air Asia hop to Bangkok, a little vacate, back with the goods.

Cheers - Jim

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.
I will be in touch with an exhaust fabricator that I found through the speedway guys, we will see.
And Thailand is next door, but my wife says no !! Wonder why ??
Should talk to Schoenfeld as well.

Anyway, I wish you all a Happy New Year.

Here are a few shots - still a "work in progress." I'm not sure Jere Stahl would have approved of the mods, but they fit and now go to a side exit vice the 4 tubes straight aft. Would have played havoc with the underbody Aero-Plans!

Pax upper shows the type of mods we needed to make for my application.
12695c1972559b3fa.jpg

Surprisingly, we were able to keep the tube lengths within an inch of each other - overall. Pretty lucky I'd say.
Here looking down the pax side - more mods, and you can see the new oil pan that was wider aft, but also further aft than the one I had. {BTW - the former is for sale now!}
12695c1972555db60.jpg
Not a lot to see on side exit, but the tubes go 4-into-2, then the 2 are exiting. Will swing 90 degree aft and run down under the side skirts - (think fancy no-step running boards!).
12695c1972557cf36.jpg
Drivers side is "not quite" a mirror of the pax;
12695c1972553b941.jpg
But you can see the work we had to do here too. Sure glad I know somebody that can TIG! Better still - he was committed to getting it right and I was real happy with the work.
This shot of the Drivers down shows a bit of work to still do. The headers after all the effort, still banged against the block/pan. SO I had another shop CNC a set of 1/2 AL spacers/anti-reversion/adapter - thingies, so no need to sort out a joining method under the pan. I think we'll be making and welding on (one side) Slip Joints. 12695c1972551c2e4.jpg

Lookin' like I'll have to double U-Joint the steering shaft. And, I still have to find some foot room somewhere too!

We could not have done this work without the use of some really cool header tools:

12695c19771e322c4.jpg

They go for about a hundred a set and I have two sets - that will let go for $100 + shipping -- Shameless sales plug - I know. I'll post in sales section full details tomorrow.

Cheers - Jim

Hi Jim,

Do you happen to remember where you purchased these Stahl 180 headers? I contacted them and the gentlemen I spoke with said they never produced anything like that.
Any info you could provide on these would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Tim