Ammeter installation

I used a assembly manual with 71 wiring digrams and taped them togeather so I could follow them. and the wires are a black to battery hot and the black with white stripe to the alternater clip.

Does a volt meter show discharge

Sure does, instantly....14.8 volts when first start engine, dumping alt current into battery, 13.3 or damn close when running for a while, maybe ten minits or so.....if it's ever less than 12.8 you are getting into heavy draw, bunch of cooling fans or HVAC running, headlights on, radio blaring....anything less than 12.8 you are draining the battery....

Draw a line on the gauge at 12.8, use the same color as the numbers so it looks pretty. :trumpet:
So all you've done is create an arbitrary ammeter, that doesn't have a marked center point. +12.8 it's charging....-12.8 it's discharging It can't tell you anything more. :footmouth:

now with that ampmeter in there, look at the resolution, +- 40 amps in about 1/2" of deflection, center is zero, you can be draining the battery and that ampmeter hardly shows deflection, do it long enough, and you fail to start....lets say you running without AC, and it's daylight, alt is dead, that damn ampmeter will read damn nearly dead on the zero mark, and at a glance no one can tell WTF the thing says....a VM reads 8-16 volts in a 90* sweep, you can tell at a glance, without a microscope....

You've confirmed you just need a new eyeglass prescription. :footmouth:
:club:

Miss TaTa can interpret the ammeter a lot easier..... -Bad, +Good

I used a assembly manual with 71 wiring digrams and taped them togeather so I could follow them. and the wires are a black to battery hot and the black with white stripe to the alternater clip.

Don't know what that is.
Do you have an engine harness?
You should be able to see where the inside ammeter black is connected to the 10 red or brown charge wire with a soldered parallel crimp.
The bl/w stripe should have an 20 ga orange fuse link at the horn junction.

Distance between those points on your 10 ga creates your shunt and needle movement.
If you have similar symptoms as Gene, you may want to play with that distance so the needle in the ammeter moves more. :clap:

Don't know what that is.
You should be able to see where the inside ammeter black is connected to the 10 red or brown charge wire with a soldered parallel crimp.

Distance between those points on your 10 ga creates your shunt and needle movement.
If you have similar symptoms as Gene, you may want to play with that distance so the needle in the ammeter moves more. :clap:

Man you are right on, I cut the tape back on the harness by the horn relay and a little black dblwhite wire was hidden there No orange I jumped it to test and it works fine. I could not see where the black wire is connected but I will find it soon.
When whoever put the hypertech dist in a lot of wires moved around, I think it may take awhile to sort it out. Do you know of a wiring diagram for a hypertech dist I have three wires I hooked them up where I thought they went It seems to run ok.... + - alt clip

When whoever put the hypertech dist in a lot of wires moved around, I think it may take awhile to sort it out. Do you know of a wiring diagram for a hypertech dist I have three wires I hooked them up where I thought they went It seems to run ok.... + - alt clip

That dizzy should be like any HEI. The inboard harness goes to the dizzy body, and the 2 outboard ones are Batt+, fed by #10 hot with key, and tach (If used)

Don't know what that is.

Man you are right on, I cut the tape back on the harness by the horn relay and a little black dblwhite wire was hidden there No orange I jumped it to test and it works fine. I could not see where the black wire is connected but I will find it soon.

You may want to wire 20 ga fuse links or little inline fuses to the ammeter feed wires. Might save the gauge if too much amperage somehow tries the journey thru the gauge.

Don't know what that is.

You may want to wire 20 ga fuse links or little inline fuses to the ammeter feed wires. Might save the gauge if too much amperage somehow tries the journey thru the gauge.

Picking up the 20 gage today