linear actuator control ??'s

Some have limit switches built in and some extend to a fixed stop and the motor reaches a current limit and shuts off. As far as reversing, all types require power.

I want to reinvent the wheel.

Actually I think it can be done with the existing C3 setup, just get rid of the lousy vacuum motor and substitute a linear actuator. I bought a used headlamp assy. to use as a test unit so I don't have to cannibalize my '79. Now I need some affordable linear actuator(s) and a rocker switch and I'll be well on my way.

Edit - Thanks for the links Gene, the FA site is very price competitive.

Last edited:
dont worry I do that a lot LOL

I saw not too long ago someone do this, linear actuators for the headlights and wiper door too.
I remember he posted the place where he bought the actuators.

Cant find it.

Figure out how much travel you need and get an actuator the correct length. IIRC, most have 3 wires- common, extend, retract. Runs either way depending on which wire gets power or ground.

I bought the linear actuator for my wiper door from those guys.
The actuator extends or retracts by reversing polarity to the motor (2 wire setup).
There's a limit switch at each end of the travel that cuts out power when you reach the limit. That switch is bypassed by a diode that allows it to be reversed when the switch is open at the limit. So you can apply power to the actuator at all times, the limit switch prevents the motor from running once it's fully opened or closed.
On mine, I used the internal limit to retract the wiper door. I added an external switch and diode to limit the opening of the door. BTW, that same dpdt switch replaces the wiper door switch and turns on the wiper once the door is open fully.
DV8, you list a '79 as your car....so checking for headlights??? I would go with the Chris Mcdonalt 69?MyWay setup.....

www.mcspeed.com something like that....using F body actuators, and his kit to make them work....

http://www.firgelliauto.com/product_info.php?cPath=79&products_id=95

The actuator extends or retracts by reversing polarity to the motor (2 wire setup).
There's a limit switch at each end of the travel that cuts out power when you reach the limit. That switch is bypassed by a diode that allows it to be reversed when the switch is open at the limit. So you can apply power to the actuator at all times, the limit switch prevents the motor from running once it's fully opened or closed.
On mine, I used the internal limit to retract the wiper door. I added an external switch and diode to limit the opening of the door. BTW, that same dpdt switch replaces the wiper door switch and turns on the wiper once the door is open fully.
DV8, you list a '79 as your car....so checking for headlights??? I would go with the Chris Mcdonalt 69?MyWay setup.....

www.mcspeed.com something like that....using F body actuators, and his kit to make them work....

http://www.firgelliauto.com/product_info.php?cPath=79&products_id=95

Since I have fixed healights, I used it for keeping the wiper door, as it's totally cute and unique to chrome sharks....but I used a 3 relay setup and two burglar alarm contacts for limit switches....and of course built my own intermittant wiper circuit all in the stock location

:harhar:

OK - I have the measurements regarding travel of the actuator and even a mechanical concept of how to make it work. What I need help with from you guys is understanding how to make it work electrically without making it over complicated or blowing fuses (or starting fires).

:sos:

Here's the concept.....

The linear actuator - from what I understand, has a common ground and two "12v" leads, each 12v lead controls either the up or down function. I would like to use the existing headlight switch or mount a switch where the vacuum bypass switch is under the column to control the linear actuators. From the description below (Thanks, Garys 68) this circuit performs these functions to a "T".

Would you be willing to share the schematic for this? It is easier for me to understand if I can see the diagram. Also you stated that your L.A. is a two wire unit? The ones I have seen are 3 or more.

Could this be operated by the existing headlight switch circuit or would a rocker switch be simpler?

Time for me to get schooled by the E.E's in the group....

OK - I have the measurements regarding travel of the actuator and even a mechanical concept of how to make it work. What I need help with from you guys is understanding how to make it work electrically without making it over complicated or blowing fuses (or starting fires).

:sos:

Here's the concept.....

The linear actuator - from what I understand, has a common ground and two "12v" leads, each 12v lead controls either the up or down function. I would like to use the existing headlight switch or mount a switch where the vacuum bypass switch is under the column to control the linear actuators. From the description below (Thanks, Garys 68) this circuit performs these functions to a "T".

Would you be willing to share the schematic for this? It is easier for me to understand if I can see the diagram. Also you stated that your L.A. is a two wire unit? The ones I have seen are 3 or more.

Could this be operated by the existing headlight switch circuit or would a rocker switch be simpler?

Time for me to get schooled by the E.E's in the group....

some years ago I set down one evening for a hour on the kitchen bar top and sketched it out....i'ts one SPDT power relay, one DPDT relay and another similar non power relay...the main power relay controls the currents to the wiper motor....the rest is small currents to the LA....if you want....I can scan and send my schematic....

keep in mind I have no schematic to my intermittant wiper circuit...just the door operation setup....I lost the other one....damnit...it's nothing but a 555 timer and a pot with a cap and a transistor to drive the relay signaling the motor to wipe once and shut off....:shocking:

The 3 wire actuator you describe would be easier to wire. All you'll need is a single spdt relay. Power from the headlight switch would energize the relay to power the up position of the actuator. No power from the headlight switch would power the down position. Still need a scematic? I'll see if I can scan something tomorrow.
BTW, can you provide a link to the actuator you're using?

Last edited:
The 3 wire actuator you describe would be easier to wire. All you'll need is a single spdt relay. Power from the headlight switch would energize the relay to power the up position of the actuator. No power from the headlight switch would power the down position. Still need a scematic?Yes I'll see if I can scan something tomorrow.
BTW, can you provide a link to the actuator you're using?

I was looking at the Firgelli Website, I have not selected a L.A. yet. I am open to suggestions.

I apologize for being so dense re: the electrical diagram. My noggin' works better in a hands on environment, I need to see it to understand it. I can read schematics.

Thanks for your help!

You might want to double check. I think most of the Firgelli actuators are labelled "2 wire, reverse polarity to retract".
That requres a 2 relay setup.

Dont the early C-4 headlight switches have extra pins on them to tell the lights to go up and down? The killer lights setup says to use the C-4 switch if you dont use the firebird module.