Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Other Cars

Old 10-23-2011, 05:00 PM
Germany | Crew Chief

My Photos: (882)

did you try Autozone for the hoses ? they sell Dayco and they seem to be pretty good.....

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]
Old 10-23-2011, 06:19 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYBAD79 View Post
did you try Autozone for the hoses ? they sell Dayco and they seem to be pretty good.....
to answer your question ... NO .... That is mearly a waste of time going there because these lines are somewhat like an iceberg, being that you don't see the whole berg because about 3/4 of it is submerged. These hoses don't simply use a hose clamp that secures them.

I did cruise to pick-a-part and found a 2003 camaro v-6 and it's hoses were in excellent shape for 20.00 bucks. Brand new this setup is like 160.00 bucks. These 2003 lines will get me by till I can have my pipes fitted with new lines and crimps and at that time I will re-do the other hoses on the car as weell.

Here is what the assembly looks like.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:49 PM
United States | Phantom of the Opera

My Photos: (3)

Standard issue one each, kitchen chair, same as we have....

thank you China.....
Old 10-23-2011, 07:21 PM
United States | Addict

When I was at pickapart I notice a couple other GM cars with the series 2 3800 that used a fitting in this braket with a pipe coming out and the hose just slips over it and a hose clamp used and then it is retained but a bolt that threads in just below where the fitting slips in which my 3.8 also has this threaded hole.

Last edited by JeffP1167; 10-23-2011 at 07:29 PM..
Old 10-23-2011, 10:20 PM
United States | Addict

Well after 45 minutes of idling no leaks were seen. Hopefully this will get me by for awhile. I really don't like that setup with just hoses and clamps. I kinda like to keep this camaro original looking.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:16 AM
Germany | Crew Chief

[quote=JeffP1167;88362

Here is what the assembly looks like.

[/QUOTE]

that brings back memories,,,,, i bought these hoses a few years ago but i highly doubt i paid that much... well maybe I did....because ofe leak the coolant was pissing onto the serpenine belt so it would fly off the pullies..... that's leaving you stranded without power steering, water pump or alternator..... awesome.....

i'd check AZ for the radiator hoses you mentioned, they're like 40 bux for both..... pretty sure that's with life time warrranty
Old 12-27-2013, 08:57 PM
United States | n00b

I am currently working on the same issue. I found that those hoses were leaking so i put an o-ring on the metal place that you can see in the picture. That solved my problem for that leak now I have a leak where I replaced the elbow shown in another picture posted. I bought the plastic elbows at auto zone which were 3.99 and we accidentally broke them in the manifold so we spend a couple hours just trying to get that out. What we did was heated up a screwdriver and bent the tip just a little so it was at a 90 degree angle and I pushed it all the way back in. Then we took a chisel and made sure we were hitting the plastic piece (I used my iPhone and put it on video mode and turned the flash on which made it easier to see in the hole) then I just tapped it with a hammer so we could split the piece in two. After a little wiggling we were able to get it out. Now that we have it all back together it is still leaking from the elbow. Im not sure if we can just use a thicker o-ring on the elbow piece? If anyone knows how to fix that let me know.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:08 AM
United States | Phantom of the Opera

My Photos: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksink7 View Post
I am currently working on the same issue. I found that those hoses were leaking so i put an o-ring on the metal place that you can see in the picture. That solved my problem for that leak now I have a leak where I replaced the elbow shown in another picture posted. I bought the plastic elbows at auto zone which were 3.99 and we accidentally broke them in the manifold so we spend a couple hours just trying to get that out. What we did was heated up a screwdriver and bent the tip just a little so it was at a 90 degree angle and I pushed it all the way back in. Then we took a chisel and made sure we were hitting the plastic piece (I used my iPhone and put it on video mode and turned the flash on which made it easier to see in the hole) then I just tapped it with a hammer so we could split the piece in two. After a little wiggling we were able to get it out. Now that we have it all back together it is still leaking from the elbow. Im not sure if we can just use a thicker o-ring on the elbow piece? If anyone knows how to fix that let me know.
Welcome to the motley crew.....

Sorry I can't help you, but hopefully someone smart will come along.....

Old 12-28-2013, 01:13 AM
Germany | Crew Chief

These plastic ellbows are a pain: it was around 2005 when I had the pleasure to deal with this crap.... I replaced ellbows and hoses if I remember right.... Fixed it but wasn't cheap....

Unless I'm missing something: why not tap the holes for NPT and use a NPT-barb.fitting ?? That should fix it once and for good.....
Old 12-30-2013, 05:23 AM
United States | Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYBAD79 View Post
These plastic ellbows are a pain: it was around 2005 when I had the pleasure to deal with this crap.... I replaced ellbows and hoses if I remember right.... Fixed it but wasn't cheap....

Unless I'm missing something: why not tap the holes for NPT and use a NPT-barb.fitting ?? That should fix it once and for good.....
I found a better fix, for 1,000.00 fixed the leaks, gained 85 horsepower, got rid of annoying lifter rattle.

bought 1997 z28 donor car and replaced the shitty 3.8

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]