Agenda for frame off

js292

I'm starting to plan my frame off for my 71 LS5. I've read alot of the threads people have done and there is one step that I see that most everyone has in common. I see that after the chassis is complete, most everyone has elected to build the motor next. I'm just curious why, is there a specific reason for doing in that order? I know the motor is one of the more fun items to build but if it's going to take a couple more years to finish everything else up seems like that would be the last item to finish.

Most are working towards a rolling chassis so for that, the engine would have to be done. It's also easier with to install it all without the body on.

I'm starting to plan my frame off for my 71 LS5. I've read alot of the threads people have done and there is one step that I see that most everyone has in common. I see that after the chassis is complete, most everyone has elected to build the motor next. I'm just curious why, is there a specific reason for doing in that order? I know the motor is one of the more fun items to build but if it's going to take a couple more years to finish everything else up seems like that would be the last item to finish.

Whe restoring a car, the most logical way is to assemble it in the same order the factory did. The factory rolling chasis had the engine/tranny installed before the body is lowered on.

The fastest way to restore a car is send out mutiple projects at once. Frame to powdercoater,engine to rebuilder,tranny to rebuilder,body to painter, concurrently. Then, assemble the car in two week period from like new parts, and your done.

Most guys have limited space, therefore the most effecient way to store parts is to assemble them as they arrive. Frame/suspension,wheels,etc.

This makes this part rolling, and more easy to manuvere.

Last edited:
You know........like send out for pizza, a guy just shows up at your door:smash:

That makes since, just seems like alot of money tied up in the motor to sit there. I guess either way you look at it your going to have a lot of money just sitting there for awhile, either in the drive train or in the body/wiring.... Sending it out isn't an option, other than the internal machine work. I've got a little different route than most because I have another rolling chassis and b-cage to start with.