Model T, short 5 min clip.....

Model T's do have coils- 4 of them. Control is from a timer mounted on the front of the cam cover. Little tin hat with 4 contacts and a roller inside it. That tells what cylinder to fire and when. Just like a modern points setup and dizzy cap.
Those old T coils will knock your azz off too.

The magneto is what they used to generate the voltage for the spark before there was a battery onboard. After the battery was installed, the old generator made the power, but it couldn't keep up with the load. Switch to the mag and drive on.

So right from the git go the generator could not keep up with the load of the ignition and starting the car and charge the battery also???

:bonkers: seems surprising....:bullshit:

Model T's do have coils- 4 of them. Control is from a timer mounted on the front of the cam cover. Little tin hat with 4 contacts and a roller inside it. That tells what cylinder to fire and when. Just like a modern points setup and dizzy cap.
Those old T coils will knock your azz off too.

The magneto is what they used to generate the voltage for the spark before there was a battery onboard. After the battery was installed, the old generator made the power, but it couldn't keep up with the load. Switch to the mag and drive on.

So right from the git go the generator could not keep up with the load of the ignition and starting the car and charge the battery also???

:bonkers: seems surprising....:bullshit:

Well, not exactly. The coils are a 1000-1 ratio. Although the 6v source works fine for starting, the magneto put out 6-24 volts, increasing with engine speed. Ergo, you start on battery, and switch to magneto when running for a better spark.
The spark therefore INCREASES with engine speed, and since each coil has vibrating points, and the timer has a long duration, you have the first CD type ignition. (Read, it sparks for about 20*)

OK 50 lashes with a wet noodle for me. It's been too long- and that's one of those things that just seems to always work. My Dad, (the one that restored the T) never ran it on the mag- he said it just didn't seem to run real well on it. After I got into it, I did find it runs better on the mag. But I do need to run the advance differently.

OK 50 lashes with a wet noodle for me. It's been too long- and that's one of those things that just seems to always work. My Dad, (the one that restored the T) never ran it on the mag- he said it just didn't seem to run real well on it. After I got into it, I did find it runs better on the mag. But I do need to run the advance differently.

There is a spring loaded contact post that connects the biscuit board to the output term on top of the "hogs head". The band "lint" collects there. Remove it, clean it, and reinstall. It will improve the mag output. I can also show you how to recharge the horse shoe magnets "IN THE CAR", without dis-assembly.:devil:(External power source and a compass required):bonkers:

I knew about that. He said that right after he got the resto done in '66. After fooling around wih it myself, I think his reasning was because of the RPM change when you swich from "BAT" to "Mag". It's always ran fine for me.

Now that is cool.
I always preferred magneto igniton on my bikes. Yeah you had to keep it in tune to start (no pansy ass electrical starters), and it was a bit weak at idle (and the flickering headlights looked cool and left no doubt you were runnin' a hardcore basic machine!) But you dam sure didn't need no battery or generator to get down the road, and that faster you went, the better it ran!
Lights & easy starting are nice, but spark to ignite the charge is necessary. Moonlight & (if you're in luck!) a tailight ahead to follow are all one needs to get you where you're headed.
If you got spark.