help with rack install, rack position

496BBC

Starting to fab brackets and was wondering it the rack could be moved further back tward the rear of the car so it could be turned more upright, just behind the motor mount. this would put center line of the tie-rods to the face of the bolt holes in the rack about 5" apart, the bracket that would bolt to the rack and connect to the tie-rods could be fabbed to cmmpensate. Do the tie-rods need to be inline straight across or can there be some offset?

Neal

You can only go so far to the rear as the 'bucket' of the oil pan is in the way....MY rack wound up on about the same centerline as the OEM main link...

LIke posted just now in another thread, I did it on jackstands and engine out of the car...but knew the locations of criticality ONE parts....oil pan, being the most important....

There can be some offset but straighter is better, more offset means a larger turning radius and you get less turning rate for stering wheel revolutions because the angle introduces angular (vector) losses since only the true lateral component )lateral mvoement) affects the steering arm angle. I would keep it within 5 to 7 degrees, anything over that would make a significant difference.

This shows the stock angles, also not completely straight:
249beef45e6295.jpg

Thanks for the response, just walked in from the shop. I got the drivers side bracket fabed, will try it out tomorrow.

I can get the tie-rods straight with a little distance between them and the rack. I can build some offset in with the bracket that will connect the tie-rods to the rack. Just not sure how much offset the rack will put up with.

The rack will end up around 3" from the oil pan sump, was hoping to get a bar to connect both brackets together between the rack and the sump.

Neal

does anyone have the centerline of the bolts that hold the grandam rack in place, the ones that go through the straps. My straps haven't come in and I'm to that point with my install.

Neal

does anyone have the centerline of the bolts that hold the grandam rack in place, the ones that go through the straps. My straps haven't come in and I'm to that point with my install.

Neal

PM/email me in the morning so I can jump out to the garage and measure that for you ....both brackets are ideantical as I recall, but the pass side needs be bent straight on the lower tab, and bolted to the bracket with a vertical bolt...that buys a extra inch on the height, putting it even with the control arm....

:banghead:

Neal

PM/email me in the morning so I can jump out to the garage and measure that for you ....both brackets are ideantical as I recall, but the pass side needs be bent straight on the lower tab, and bolted to the bracket with a vertical bolt...that buys a extra inch on the height, putting it even with the control arm....

I missed your reply last night, whenever you get a chance would be great.

Thanks

Neal

I missed your reply last night, whenever you get a chance would be great.

Thanks

Your centerline is 3.5 inches or damn close....I used a 5/16 bolt/nut...grade 8.....

Thanks, That gives me what I need to drill and tap the holes for the straps. I'm waiting on the Pontiac dealership to get the straps I ordered. Once I get them all that is left is to figure the fitting size and order hoses. Oh and almost forgot, I need to fab the bracket to connect the rack to the tie-rods and I will be back on the road.

Thanks, That gives me what I need to drill and tap the holes for the straps. I'm waiting on the Pontiac dealership to get the straps I ordered. Once I get them all that is left is to figure the fitting size and order hoses. Oh and almost forgot, I need to fab the bracket to connect the rack to the tie-rods and I will be back on the road.

Them brackets?? the junkyard is your friend my man, on a nice sunny day...wandering around relaxing and mulling over the possibilities of all them hotrods we can build outta them parts....

:D:friends: