Mustang - fox body brake upgrade

MYBAD79

Installed 13" rotors, dual piston calipers and matching master cylinder (15/16" bore) from a 94/95 Cobra.... SS braided hose and a conversion kit to adapt the master cylinder to the existing fox body brake lines. The difference to the previously installed 11" GT rotors is quiet impressive:
photo_zpsdf69c57f.jpg

Used some flat black BBQ paint to keep the rotor hat rust free....

photo_zps1578954d.jpg

Brake performance is amazing :) :D

Those calipers are the same as j55 corvette stuff. The abutments use m12? Vettes use m14

I like those brakes also. Have them on a couple cars.

Those calipers are the same as j55 corvette stuff. The abutments use m12? Vettes use m14

I like those brakes also. Have them on a couple cars.

What size master are you using? Mine is 15/16 bore and the pedal feel is pretty good, I still have to fine-tune the manual proportioning valve for the perfect balance front/rear.

These calipers have M12 threads - found awesome deals on Amazon.com: $67 for the Raybestos loaded caliper (incl bracket and pads) .... RC10604 and RC 10603

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Raybestos-RC10604-Professional-Remanufactured-Caliper/dp/B000C71VC2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375103660&sr=8-1&keywords=raybestos+loaded+cobra[/ame]

yes the mustang abutments are all 12mm the vettes were 14.

the pic shows the abutment but I'm willing to get that for 67 bucks they are not included. the j55 abutment is different from the jl9.

My masters are all 1"

nope, all included..... $67 for the mounting bracket (that others sell for $40) , pads, pins, clips, and the caliper itself..... I got two, both looked brand spanking new, I would not have guessed these are rebuilt.....

lookup the Raybestos part number for this caliper with the M14 Corvette bracket and search Amazon..... but hey, might as well re-use the old bracket if you have one, can't beat that price :)

got the rotors for $130 shipped on Ebay :lol:

damn, that's super cheap...paid a whole lot more for mine..and all they have is baer logo LOL and I had to buy the pads seperate

looks like for the Vette it's RC11225 and RC 11226, these are $65 incl pads but do NOT include the brackets.....

The only difference between the abutments is M12 vs M14. Nothing a drill and tap won't fix

the vette abutments are 75 bucks a pop

The holes are in the same location? Wow, then yes.... I have to say "best deal ever" even if you add a few bucks for a drill and M14 tap.....

drill size for M14x1.5 is 12.5mm so that hole can be drilled in the existing M12 threaded hole..... awesome....

Interessting: the pads don't cover the entire width of the rotor. I thought that maybe I got incorrect brackets or pads (I did get worried because it was such a good price) ..... Found a few pics online , apparently this is normal for Cobra brakes to make contact like this:

photo_zpscf4298f7.jpg

Marck, is this the same on the GM brakes that use this style caliper?

You put 13" brakes on that 4 banger mustang?

Yes, and subframe connectors so that the 100 hp engine won't twist the chassis :lol:

One day there might be a Coyote 5.0 under the hood , the current 4 banger is at 209000 miles ;)

Thought it only made 88hp, or did the later efi 2.3 versions have a 100hp? I used to have 2 of those 2.3 fox's one was a 85 and the other a 90. Both seem equally slow then bought a 91 GT with 5 speed.

You put 13" brakes on that 4 banger mustang?

Yes, and subframe connectors so that the 100 hp engine won't twist the chassis :lol:

One day there might be a Coyote 5.0 under the hood , the current 4 banger is at 209000 miles ;)

Thought it only made 88hp, or did the later efi 2.3 versions have a 100hp? I used to have 2 of those 2.3 fox's one was a 85 and the other a 90. Both seem equally slow then bought a 91 GT with 5 speed.

I think new it was rated at 105hp, it has the fancy dual spark plug head and I think the cam is a little hotter than on the previous models , not sure though ..... It is so slow you can measure the 1/4 mile time with a calendar ...

Last edited:
put over 1200 miles on the car since the brake upgrade, adjusted the prop valve a few times, now it's perrfect..... damn, what an improvement over the GT brakes.....
:clap::clap: