Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Classic Corvettes

Old 11-20-2018, 09:33 PM
United States | Garage Monkey

My Photos: (264)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69427 View Post
I "spec'd out" some aluminum tubing (square and rectangular) to build a replacement front crossmember. With quarter inch walls on the pieces, the tensile (and post-weld) strength of the pieces calculate out to a number that should give an overbuilt/safety margin of around 10x. The material weight calculations come out to slightly less than 21 pounds (versus 35# for my present steel crossmember). With this much difference in weight, I could add a few more pounds in gusseting, and still end up with a piece that is lighter than the present piece and that doesn't cause me safety concerns every time I go out on the track.

The material costs don't appear to be too outrageous, but the shipping costs on the longer pieces does boost the cost noticeably. I need to keep looking around to see if I can keep the total cost withing reason.
Mike, Do you have a Metals Supermarket in your area? That's where I buy anything over 8ft.

Anything under 8ft I buy from Mcmaster Carr. I don't know how they do it but their shipping for long stuff like that is a fraction of what I get charged for shipping something that long. And, I usually have it the next day. You can call them and get shipping rates.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:21 PM
United States | The Artist formerly known as Turbo84

My Photos: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBShark View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69427 View Post
I "spec'd out" some aluminum tubing (square and rectangular) to build a replacement front crossmember. With quarter inch walls on the pieces, the tensile (and post-weld) strength of the pieces calculate out to a number that should give an overbuilt/safety margin of around 10x. The material weight calculations come out to slightly less than 21 pounds (versus 35# for my present steel crossmember). With this much difference in weight, I could add a few more pounds in gusseting, and still end up with a piece that is lighter than the present piece and that doesn't cause me safety concerns every time I go out on the track.

The material costs don't appear to be too outrageous, but the shipping costs on the longer pieces does boost the cost noticeably. I need to keep looking around to see if I can keep the total cost withing reason.
Mike, Do you have a Metals Supermarket in your area? That's where I buy anything over 8ft. I just googled those guys. A few of them in surrounding states, but none near where I'm at.
Anything under 8ft I buy from Mcmaster Carr. I don't know how they do it but their shipping for long stuff like that is a fraction of what I get charged for shipping something that long. And, I usually have it the next day. You can call them and get shipping rates.
I've ordered a bunch of stuff from McMaster Carr over the years, but I never thought about them when it comes to metal material. I'll get on their site and see what they got.

I appreciate it.
Old Today, 04:15 AM
United States | The Artist formerly known as Turbo84

My Photos: (2)

I finally got the "new" aluminum p/s pump modified and ready to put on the car. I had to pull off the serpentine pulley (a damn shame, as it was a nice lightweight plastic piece) and replace it with the slightly heavier steel v-pulley off my previous steel pump. I managed to somewhat compensate for the heavier steel pulley by installing the smaller volume, lighter reservoir off the steel pump (the bigger reservoir wouldn't fit in the location anyway). I also trimmed a few unnecessary ounces off the aluminum bracket for the pump.

The "old" pump was about 6# even, and the "new" pump combination is 4.7#. Not a lot of difference, but I'm pretty much working with crumbs on the weight reductions anymore. I'm installing a C5Z p/s fluid cooler (11 oz) and the attending lines while I've got things apart, so I should still be able to get this done with a minimal weight penalty.