Beadblasting Intake Manifold

Tim

Hello,
I have an 85 apart to replace the intake manifold. Its pretty cruddy.

I was going to beadblast the intake, runners, plenum and valve covers. What do you do with these engine parts? Do you then put a coat of hi-temp clear over it? (I assume there is such a thing as hi-temp clear!!!???) I don't think I want to put a color on it other than maybe silver.

Thanks,
Tim

Clear what?

You can get hi-temp clear paint but in my experience (a few years ago), it eventually turns a yellowish colour with the heat. Maybe there's something better on the market now though?

You can also get clear powder coat which will handle engine temps :thumbs:

Last edited:
Hello,

I was going to beadblast the intake, runners, plenum and valve covers. What do you do with these engine parts? Do you then put a coat of hi-temp clear over it? (I assume there is such a thing as hi-temp clear!!!???) I don't think I want to put a color on it other than maybe silver.

Thanks,
Tim

I ASSUME these parts are aluminum. Just be sure you wash them well afterwards, and then wash them again, the one more time. One glass bead will ruin your whole wallet.
That being said, I use em raw, just like I always have.:)

Hello,

Thanks,
Tim

Those runners have some kind of paint/finish on them from the factory....resembles powder coating....so does the top plenum and dizzy cover....I have a clean set of stock runners if they help you, undented...

but the intake was raw aluminum,

:D

Thanks for the suggestions.
- one glass bead ... I didn't know that! Maybe glass beading is not a good idea. This is a driver and I just wanted to spruce it up. My eyesight is not that clear - I usually use two pair of dollar store reading glasses to get things in focus.
- powder coating would be the way the go, but I'd rather put the money into a performance part ...
- eastwood - good link, I forgot all about them. It looks like that would do it.

Those are a lot of good options. Thanks for the help.
Tim

Depending on how stained it is a couple trips threw the dishwasher may get it looking like new. The heat will help get the pores to open up and release the soaked in oil. Just make sure that you get it as clean as you can first so you don't plug the dishwasher with grease. It also helps it you crank the temp on the water heater first.

I have done alot of bead blasting,on my car and others car parts,as long as you blow the part of real good inside and out then wash it you will be fine.

Now on my motor i like the raw alum finish none of the chrome or endurashine,so what i did to help in cleaning the parts because as we all know all those little pores love to hold dirt and grease,i powder coated them with a clear 50%gloss powder. You will still have the raw alum look without all the shine. And clean up is a cinch just wipe the parts off with a clean towel :D