Mounting Engine Oil Cooler

496BBC

Whats the best way to mount the engine oil cooler?

Is it best to mount so that the oil will drain back to the engine or to mount it so that the oil stays in the cooler?

I guess there are concerns for each way.

If its mounted so that the oil drains back to the engine than there is the concern of dry start ups. The oil pressure taking a few more seconds to build due to having to fill the cooler.

If its mounted so that the oil stays in the cooler than the oil will not drain back to the engine during oil changes.

I may have to weld a drain in my cooler if I decide to mount it were the oil will not drain back to the engine.

Thanks for any input

I had it mounted in the rear of the car with fans on it to get the heat away form the radiator. I'm going to try moving it in front of the radiator to see if it makes any difference.

Neal

Whats the best way to mount the engine oil cooler?

Is it best to mount so that the oil will drain back to the engine or to mount it so that the oil stays in the cooler?

I guess there are concerns for each way.

If its mounted so that the oil drains back to the engine than there is the concern of dry start ups. The oil pressure taking a few more seconds to build due to having to fill the cooler.

If its mounted so that the oil stays in the cooler than the oil will not drain back to the engine during oil changes.

I may have to weld a drain in my cooler if I decide to mount it were the oil will not drain back to the engine.

Thanks for any input

I had it mounted in the rear of the car with fans on it to get the heat away form the radiator. I'm going to try moving it in front of the radiator to see if it makes any difference.

Neal

Why not just use engine coolant to cool like the factory does? RX7's had coolers like you talk about IIRC you had to drain and flush it due to metal shavings etc.

Last edited:
Some people don't think it is really necessary but over here it is hot year round so I have had one for several years and it works fine for me.

IMG_0020.jpg

That cooler and those hoses are way too small for an engine oil cooler. Run -10AN minimum, -12 preferred.

The cooler should be on the pressure side and not drain to the engine. With an oil change, if it concerns you just remove and drain the cooler.

Jeff, the coolant system can't be made big enough to cool this engine with the space I have to work with. I had to install a large oil cooler to keep the engine cool.

Dean, thanks for the pic, my oil cooler is a little to big to mount there.

TT, I have the ability to weld a drain in so that may be the rout I take.

thanks for the help

Neal

What would you drain? Pressurized oil??? That will kill your oil pressure. the cooler should be mounted in the pressurized oil systen There is no non pressure bypass or return in the stock system that you can use to cool and then drain to the sump.

Also, you'll need some kind of thermostatic control so the oil won't run too cold, running @ or below for instance 160F will double the wear.

What would you drain? Pressurized oil??? That will kill your oil pressure. the cooler should be mounted in the pressurized oil systen There is no non pressure bypass or return in the stock system that you can use to cool and then drain to the sump.

Also, you'll need some kind of thermostatic control so the oil won't run too cold, running @ or below for instance 160F will double the wear.

What type do you suggest ?

with the oil cooler mounted were the oil will not drain back to the pan the oil will not get changed out while doing an oil change. If I put a drain plug in the cooler I can drain the cooler at the same time I drain the pan, this way I will get the used oil in the cooler changed out also.

I have a oil temp thermostat monted in the line going to the cooler, it starts sending oil to the cooler at 160* and is sending all the oil to the cooler at
180*, its made by Perma Cool.

Neal

You can simply undo the hoses and take the cooler off to drain it.....but why would you? Of you change the oil in the engine a good amount stays behind in the pan, in the lifter valley, in the heads, clinged to walls and parts.

You can simply undo the hoses and take the cooler off to drain it.....but why would you? Of you change the oil in the engine a good amount stays behind in the pan, in the lifter valley, in the heads, clinged to walls and parts.

I see what your saying,

the only real reason to remove it and drain it is if some form of oil contamination takes place and warrants a complete drain.

thanks
Neal

if you contaminate a cooler due to engine failure it's trash. Never try to wash out a contaminated cooler. (Hmm ebay cooler used from nascar/race team....lousy investment)

Not on a Corvette but my cooler is mounted vertically with oil supply coming in the bottom and the top feeding the engine. There must be a way too expel air so trapped pockets don't reduce cooling area.

Dogsandcooling010.jpg

My first effort had the connections pointing down seriously compromising the effectiveness.:crap:

Just found a slightly different view that may illustrate the ins and outs a little better...

Assorted001.jpg

This pic was before the dry sump

Last edited: