'72 vette locking gas cap....

Yeh, I like that also, but then again....so does everyone else....enough with the attractions, already.....

You know, I"m trying to avoid a possible issue, not add to it....

frost on the ground this AM, 44f out now, 945am......

:suicide:

Yeh, I like that also, but then again....so does everyone else....enough with the attractions, already.....

I wonder if a later model neck like a 78 would fit your tank so you could use one of the much cheaper late model locking caps you can get at Autozone?

I wonder if a later model neck like a 78 would fit your tank so you could use one of the much cheaper late model locking caps you can get at Autozone?

No it won't fit, so I"m told....I ordered it ok, anyway....saves me messing around any more....

:friends:

I got the original one off my 72 with 1 Briggs and Stratton key. $50 is what I had it for sale for at Carlisle last year. That's about the market price for one. I took it off years ago because I didn't want to play with keys filling up my tank. I doubt this is chinese, I bought the car in 1978 and it was on it. China was still driving over their people with tanks back then.

lockingcaptop72vette.jpg

Backsidelockingcap.jpg

Last edited:
Shit, man, had I known that, I would have loved to have it....

gotta see if I can cancel the deal with Ecklers...

wonder if I can.....IF I can I will get back to you...

all for the knowing...

never knew one was actually a GM option....for sure...

:rain:

I got the original one off my 72 with 1 Briggs and Stratton key. $50 is what I had it for sale for at Carlisle last year. That's about the market price for one. I took it off years ago because I didn't want to play with keys filling up my tank. I doubt this is chinese, I bought the car in 1978 and it was on it. China was still driving over their people with tanks back then.

lockingcaptop72vette.jpg

Backsidelockingcap.jpg

That looks just like the one I got for my 64 in 1974. Note; oil it with 3 in 1 oil every year and you'll never have a problem.:beer:

Same as the one on my 71, mines just not that clean. Now that I know they came with it I'll clean it up and take better care of it. Always that it was just something that someone had installed later.

My '72 has always had a locking gas cap. I assumed it was standard. Might have to do some digging on that.

I read somewhere that some C3s have a screen inside making it difficult to get a hose in there. I could be wrong because ya can't believe everything ya read.

If there was a screen in mine, it must be gone now. When I put some fuel in it a week or so ago (from a fuel can), I pushed a piece of hose a fair way in. Where is/was the screen supposed to be?

If there was a screen in mine, it must be gone now. When I put some fuel in it a week or so ago (from a fuel can), I pushed a piece of hose a fair way in. Where is/was the screen supposed to be?

GM uses a 'sock' about 6" long and 1" diameter, usually brown in appearance and it's a filter for the pickup tube, however situated....

other than that stupid restricter hole size thing and the flapper there is no other screen I can think of.....and that filler neck crap was some lame EPA related crap from the 70's yet....leaded gas with X size nozzle tube, and so the smaller hole in the filler for UNleaded, as if a Cat ASS trophic converter ever did a thing for anyone....

:bump: