7 or 9 leaf rear spring, which one?

1Fordman

Presently have a TRW monoleaf in the car that requires 10" bolts to sit level. Not real enthused about this.

Have a 7 and 9 leaf steel springs in the garage to choose from.

Car is a 68 bb convertible with upgraded front springs, 1-1/8" front sway bar, 3/4" rear and new Bilstein shocks. Taking the TRW out of the picture, which spring would you run, the 7 or 9 leaf?

9 leaf for ride, 7 for handling....

AND IMO, put in a 360 VBP plastic spring ....the ride is 10x better, even with KYB shocks...and better yet with the VBP Bilsteins....
:D

VBP has 20% off at the moment for their springs. Even the dual mount is semi affordable now ;)

What's the rating of your front springs?

INteresting twist to this thread, as I want to ditch the 460 front springs and stick in the stock ~80? springs I have here for some years now...Chris McDonald gave them to me years ago.....wondering if the ride would improve or not....given I have VBP Bilstein shocks for the 460 springs....

anyone any clue what to expect??? I have to get into the UICAB's soon enough, so while there, wonder about the springs....

TT? anyone??

:flash:

I've got 550lbs coils and the 7-leaf with Bilstein HD shocks. I like this setup, rides smooth and handles ok... can't compete with a C5 or C6 but it's pretty good for what it is.

I've got 550lbs coils and the 7-leaf with Bilstein HD shocks. I like this setup, rides smooth and handles ok... can't compete with a C5 or C6 but it's pretty good for what it is.

You must live on the airport runway.....I live on the bum side streets....rough as a cob, make curbs look smooth....

550# coils up front,7 leaf rear,ft and rear sway bars. I have no complaints,and i have pushed it pretty hard. rides a little stiff,but if i want a smooth ride i would buy a Cadillac.

I have the 7 leaf rear and it's not stiff :)eek:) enough. I remember they had a spring called a "Daytona" for the rear. I'm probably going that way.

Yes, steel only--no weak ass "funny" break as you go type.:smash:

Hi

Are you sure its Daytona and not Gymkana ?

The 7 leaf spring is the stiffest street version that was offered, or ?

The guys ryding the coilovers on their C3 say that it beats everything else, even the VB&P double mount plastic spring .

I will go the coiolover way sooner or later.

Rgds. Günther

I had to replace my rear spring last spring. I went from the 9 leaf to a 7 leaf and am very happy with it. The only problem is I have the 460 front springs yet and you can tell they are to soft now. So I will be upgrading them to 550 this year.

I have the 7 leaf rear and it's not stiff :)eek:) enough. I remember they had a spring called a "Daytona" for the rear. I'm probably going that way.

I have a brand new one if your interested, genuine GM #6258056 I also have a like new 7-leaf and an original 9-leaf still under a `69 available. send a PM if interested.

Last edited:
Hi

Are you sure its Daytona and not Gymkana ?

The 7 leaf spring is the stiffest street version that was offered, or ?

The guys ryding the coilovers on their C3 say that it beats everything else, even the VB&P double mount plastic spring .

I will go the coiolover way sooner or later.

Rgds. Günther

Yes, Daytona. I heard that way back in the 60s more than once. I had a friend with the Daytona spring on a 66. At least that what he kept telling me. It was the stiffest damn rear spring I've ever seen on a C2/C3.:confused2:

I have a brand new one if your interested, genuine GM #6258056 I also have a like new 7-leaf and an original 9-leaf still under a `69 available. send a PM if interested.

You have an actual "Daytona" spring?? I haven't found a part number for one yet. 6258056 was discontinued in 82. But, the GM disk I have doesn't tell me what 6258056 was.

I am interested, but don't have any money at the moment.:censored:

Thanks guys for all of the input. The 7 leaf is the winner so the TRW mono is coming out. Now I need to buy a set of 6" bolts. I have 8" and the 10" ones on the car now with the TRW mono.

Look for the TRW and the 9 leaf to show up in the for sale section soon!

Thanks again for all the good info.

The 8" bolts might be ok with the 7-leaf. You're buying from Muskegon Brakes ? That's where I bought mine, a lil over $100 shipped - I'm using 10" bolts with washers, 8" would be a better fit, 6" would most likely be too short...

Thanks guys for all of the input. The 7 leaf is the winner so the TRW mono is coming out. Now I need to buy a set of 6" bolts. I have 8" and the 10" ones on the car now with the TRW mono.

Look for the TRW and the 9 leaf to show up in the for sale section soon!

Thanks again for all the good info.

you can buy the bolts at any industrial supply, or a farm/tractor store...

You have an actual "Daytona" spring?? I haven't found a part number for one yet. 6258056 was discontinued in 82. But, the GM disk I have doesn't tell me what 6258056 was.

I am interested, but don't have any money at the moment.:censored:

look in the Corvette chassis section of an older Chevy Power book...