Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Classic Corvettes

Old 10-03-2018, 11:57 AM
Australia | Addict

My Photos: (161)

Nice hood !

If I have to lift the body off the frame again, I would remove the behind the seats boxes, make an alloy cradle for the batt and have plenty of space/cooling around the diff.
About the doors, I thought about "holing" the steel bottom of them, hard to see if you don't know
Old 10-03-2018, 01:24 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray composites View Post
what about a 8lb hood?
Love the figures on the hood but I want to see a 1 piece carbon targa!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZgreen69 View Post
About the doors, I thought about "holing" the steel bottom of them, hard to see if you don't know
I like that idea! Dont think Ive seen it done before
Old 10-04-2018, 11:51 PM
United States | n00b

My Photos: (3)

dynamic vettes has a one piece targa top right now. Their "carbon version" weighs 17.7lbs for $2,100 per their facebook post.

once Im done with these hoods doors and t tops are the next big projects, then a solid top
Old 10-07-2018, 03:03 AM
United States | The Artist formerly known as Turbo84

Made up the battery (-) ground wire using the stranded aluminum wire I got at the scrapyard the other week. The piece ended up 40% lighter than the copper wire. Not much actual weight removed though, as the original ground wire wasn't that heavy to begin with, but I needed a practice wire to work on before I tackle the main + line from the battery. I made my own terminals from aluminum tubing, as I couldn't find any aluminum terminals at a local electrical warehouse. I sanded and brushed all the electrical surfaces to remove any oxidation, and then crimped and welded (via a couple drilled holes in the terminals) the assembly to hopefully get a decent electrical connection. I then just taped over most of the interface area to slow down future air leakage and oxidation.

I have one end of the larger diameter positive battery-to-starter wire finished, but it looks like it will take some time to extract the original cable out of the tunnel area, so this portion is on hold until I finish a couple track days I'm trying to squeeze in this month.

In the mean time, I'll make another short aluminum replacement ground wire between the starter housing and the frame. This will only be another few ounces off the front of the car, but it will at least remove the annoyance/distraction factor that hits me occasionally when I'm on the track and I keep thinking about unnecessarily heavy items on the car. Last week I did take a few pounds off the front of the car with modifications to the steering rack mount, the alternator bracket, the water pump cover, and a frame crossmember.

I did take an additional 12 temporary pounds off the car a couple weeks ago when I pulled the passenger seat off, and bolted on an additional fire extinguisher bottle/bracket for this month's track days.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:54 PM
United States | Addict

for sealing the ends of your battery cable... there is heat shrink that has adhesive on the inside. It melts and seals the connection very well. Sometimes called marine heatshrink.
"NTE 3/4" Dual wall polyprolefin adhesive heat shrink tubing" is what I use when making battery cables
Old 10-09-2018, 12:44 AM
Australia | Addict

My Photos: (161)

Did you checked the corner weight of your car? Just for me to have an idea of comparison with mine. I did find that the balance front to rear is not that bad, with a small block.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:43 PM
United States | The Artist formerly known as Turbo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZgreen69 View Post
Did you checked the corner weight of your car? Just for me to have an idea of comparison with mine. I did find that the balance front to rear is not that bad, with a small block.
I don't have access to any wheel scales (or the available funds to buy a set), so I have no accurate idea of what the numbers are. My brute force plans presently are to make another trip to a nearby truck stop to get the car weighed on their scales. I've previously gotten the F/R weights of the car by parking the car with the axles on two different segments of the scale. A while back I thought about also parking the car sideways on the scale segments, to get the L/R weights. Then, I (hopefully) could do some math to derive the four corner weights from the two weight printouts.

In the mean time, I'm just pulling off excess weight wherever I can find it.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:02 AM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (554)

I bet Heartland has a set of scales in impound. Might be worth the trip one weekend for a track day. Or at least a phone call. Probably more accurate.

Cheers - Jim