Painting Time? Tru Flex

donnie_19

Getting prepared for this winters project of stripping 3 coats of paint. I have never painted before but share space with guy who owned a body shop for 15 years and has experience with kit car fiberglass. I have also talked with a local body shop who will work with shooting primer and final paint to save some $$.
Looking at replacing the old urethane with fiberglass bumper covers and maybe making them seamless. In my search I find Willcox Tru Flex seems reasonable price when combined with their discounts. Are these Tru Flex best way to go?

If you go seamless you need the fiberglass bumpers, I wouldn't trust the flex fit and the glue and the filler.... Seamless looks best in my opinion.... I am not sure what filler to use on flex fit bumpers, they make urethane (2 component) filler for urethane and fiberglass filler for fiberglass. The fiberglass filler (jelly) is not very flexible, if the bumper flexes it will separate or crack....

Maybe call Ecklers??? They do lots of fiberglass work and they might have a filler that can be used on true flex material.....

I have truflex. I also have the seams filled. Truflex really isn't that flexible, not like urethane anyway. I glassed in the seams as if they were a bonding joint, then filled with epoxy resin mixed with filler powder. They turned out great, but if I had it to do over again, I would use the 'real' fiberglass bumpers. Chalk one up for ignorance...

011_zpsa2e98c5b.jpg

With trueflex I would be worried what resin to use, probably SMC resin as it is compatibel with SMC and fiberglass - the quarter is SMC so you shouldn't use fiberglass resin.
I did look again at Eckler's website and catalog and they say their trueflex is compatibel with their resin and adhesives.... Still I'd feel safer with standard finerglass: if you want it perfect you'll want to put a skim coat of filler wherever it's needed. With a thin coat of filler I would want less flex in the bumper material .

I have truflex.... but if I had it to do over again, I would use the 'real' fiberglass bumpers.
What in your opinion makes the fiberglass bumpers superior to truflex?

You're right--it's just an opinion; to answer your question, the truflex had many airbubbles, a thick gelcoat, thin fiberglass, and a sticky resin that somewhat flexed. I bought truflex with the understanding it would be flexible enough to mate with the body; that wasn't the case. I still had to cut, add glass, etc to conform it to the body. I should've just went with the stiffer fiberglass bumper if I had to do all that work anyway.:blush:

I have truflex.... but if I had it to do over again, I would use the 'real' fiberglass bumpers.
What in your opinion makes the fiberglass bumpers superior to truflex?

You're right--it's just an opinion; to answer your question, the truflex had many airbubbles, a thick gelcoat, thin fiberglass, and a sticky resin that somewhat flexed. I bought truflex with the understanding it would be flexible enough to mate with the body; that wasn't the case. I still had to cut, add glass, etc to conform it to the body. I should've just went with the stiffer fiberglass bumper if I had to do all that work anyway.:blush:
Makes sense, thanks for sharing.

Looking for fiberglass bumper vendor.

Shopping for fiberglass. I searched around Ecklers web site and only found tru flex and urethane for my year. Also same results on Corvette Central.

item 10295 .... hand laminated fiberglass

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corvette-rear-bumper-fiberglass-1976-1979.html

10295.jpg

I asked the same type question, but asked what was the best value between Urethane, True Flex and Fiberglass and got the best response from Wilcox.

My personal choice is TruFlex in the shop. For me, Urethane would only be used if the car were being judged.

But a simple fact is that from the factory the bumpers didn't fit worth a hoot... and no repro, fiber, flexy or urethane will just bolt up to the car.

IMHO,

Willcox

Below is a 78 with very low miles on it.. the bumper has not shrunk and this car has been climate control stored since it was new. It is as delivered from GM.

hugh%20owen%2078%20bumper%20org%20fit%20web%20site%20pic.jpg

Good luck with your decision as I may go with True Flex but since on the fence.

Haha.... the factory fit is amazing..... I like the comment about "never been hit" ..... a rear end collision would probably improve the fitment of the bumper :lol:

I sent Willcox an email asking them about solid fiberglass and they don't carry them. Had a coupon. They also recommended agains glassing in the seams of truflex.

I sent Willcox an email asking them about solid fiberglass and they don't carry them. Had a coupon. They also recommended agains glassing in the seams of truflex.

Call Vanacor..... Or Ecklers #10295..... Shipping is going to be the expensive part.....
I bought my rear bumper on Ebay, think I got it for $350 shipped.....keep your eyes open, deals are out there !!!

Call Vanacor..... Or Ecklers #10295..... Shipping is going to be the expensive part.....
I bought my rear bumper on Ebay, think I got it for $350 shipped.....keep your eyes open, deals are out there !!!

Thought vanacors was a empty building and they shut down?

Donnie, I have a 80-82 rear bumper mold if you want to try it. Shipping might be expensive for it though.

Thought vanacors was a empty building and they shut down?

Donnie, I have a 80-82 rear bumper mold if you want to try it. Shipping might be expensive for it though.
Does mold mean I would have to shoot the glass in it? Then I would have a bumper? I shot some fiberglass 35 years ago to make septic tanks.

I got front and rear Tru Flex from Virginia Vettes. Had the best price I could find.
Started disassembly last night with getting the emblems and doors removed. Had to remove the front bumper cover with a sawzall and lots of cussing. Rusted bolts and somea I couldn't figure out how to get a socket on them.
Need to get the interior sealed off the start stripping the paint.

All paint except the door jams is removed. I need to work on T Tops but the front trim is crimped on. How are the trim strips removed and can they be reused or do they need to be replaced?
etteStrippingPaintRearPassengerQuarter_zpse9b8c16b.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good so far, door jambs are a little time consuming with all the tight spots behind the fender...
Just curious: what's the car behind the vette ?