Hydraulic Clutch Options

GoVetteGo

I am on the fence in regard to installing a hydraulic clutch when I install the TKO600 in the Darth Vader Vette.

I have searched and read a bunch - some have gotten kits (which are $$$$$$) - but nothing specific.

What options are out there? Any DIY installs? What did you use? It would be pretty neat to develop a parts list that doesn't cost an arm and a leg!

John

Didn't many cars come with an external clutch cylinder that actuated the stock fork??? I would be looking at junkyard parts, myself.....:nuts:

I've done a bunch - with that said, on the C3, were I to do it all over again, I'd probably stick with the Z bar.

I put a 4 speed in my C3 (http://vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8505&page=34), using a 4 speed set up that I'd used in my Buick Skylark - I have no idea, to this day, what is different between the Buick and the Corvette but I could never keep clutches in the C3 with the throwout/hydraulic clutch set up.
Currently, I'm running an external clutch arm with a hydraulic push rod... pictures, again, on my build page... it works fine, but I've not 100 miles on it before the weather turned to not-C3 weather.

Last edited:
Didn't many cars come with an external clutch cylinder that actuated the stock fork??? I would be looking at junkyard parts, myself.....:nuts:

They may have Gene - dunno! I have never driven a car with a hydraulic clutch!! Only manual vehicles I have had are the 3 Vettes.

We have a couple "U Pull It" locations around here but without something specific - for me at this stage its the blind leading the blind. LOL

Anyway, the way the weather is here right now - I don't think anyone is going to be visiting Mr. U Pull It!!!

I've done a bunch - with that said, on the C3, were I to do it all over again, I'd probably stick with the Z bar.

Thanks SuperBuickGuy! And I may very well do the same. I am comfortable with the feel and operation of the clutch the way it is now. This car was an automatic before i converted it several years ago. I have all the Z-Bar parts including a custom made mounting bracket for the frame - much better/stronger then the 80 - 81 bracket some have used.

This will probably be a spring project but the more info the better.

I have a Mcleod 1400-30 hydraulic throw out bearing and I'm using the master cylinder out of an '85 chevy 1 ton truck. I also have a wilwood 5/8 master cylinder that I was going to use but it was too big to fit under there with the vacuum booster and the borgeson power steering box conversion.

I will add that I have not put fluid in the system yet and driven it.. almost there. My measurements show that I have enough clearance and it'll work, though.

Oh.. this is on a lt1 t56 bolted up to a 1 piece rms block.. I had to make a .100" bellhousing spacer to get the necessary clearance.

Last edited:
I was reminded - I went through a couple itinerations on the master cylinder as well. I had a 1", wayyyyy too stiff, then used a 7/8" again, too much. Now, 3/4" and it's right. I tried a 5/8 but it didn't move enough fluid to completely disengage the clutch.... of course, that can be changed by a longer master cylinder (they're normally 1").... but then you start running into other problems like how/where to mount the master cylinder.
On mine, I drilled out the hole where the rod went for the Z-bar and that worked perfect for the MC. One thing I did, but shouldn't have done. I cut the rod off and put another rod lower in the clutch arm.... in retrospect, I should have just used the factory pivot rod.

After determining that I had an air leak in the hose between the master cylinder reservoir and the master cylinder, I was able to successfully bleed the clutch and verify that it's working. I had to use a pressure bleeder to get all the air out of that throw out bearing, but that wasn't too big of a deal. Hopefully it'll be rolling under its own power next weekend.