Advice on transmission choice

bhays

I appreciate the advice on my engine build and would like to ask the opinion of those who have been there, done that as to transmission choice. I need to nail this down as I want to make the crossmember mods prior to having the chassis blasted and painted.

1982 'ish convertible conversion. VIN# is a 1982 but a lot of components weren't when I acquired it and I am making even more changes myself.

I had planned on going with a 700r4 and purchased the trans, crossmember, etc. to make all that work a number of years ago. I have now decided that I want to go with a manual, probably a six speed, but it's definitely not going to be a daily freeway driver, so realistically a five speed might be fine.

Engine will be a turbo tpi small block, from 80-85 chevy truck, 4 bolt main. Rear end is rebuilt with most of the good stuff, 3.54 ratio. The car was an auto, so I'm going to have to get the clutch, pedals, etc. no matter which way I go.

I do have the crossmember with dual exhaust cutouts, but I realize I will probably need to replace/modify that. The driveshaft is shortened for the 700r4 already.
12299007335_7a97ddef3b_c.jpg
Crossmember by bhays, on Flickr

My question is, what makes the most sense? TKO/T-56/???

My understanding is that a T-56 from a 93-97 fbody is more or less a direct swap for the 700r4? Would be nice not to have to have another driveshaft done..

I have located a T-56 from a 1997 30th Anniversary Z28 including the stock clutch at a very good price.. would that be a good way to go? I plan to sell my 700r4 (which is a brand new rebuilt with shift kit) and purchase the T-56.

These are the specs I found for the 97 camaro T-56:
12298904605_e0f7ed163f_c.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-02-03 at 11.02.02 PM by bhays, on Flickr

So, would this be a good choice? What would be a better one?

LT1 T56, pretty easy to install. Make sure you get the COMPLETE thing, including the bellhousing and the slave cylinder spacer. the original 82 driveshaft should fit with that combo.

Couldn't agree more, especially since the T56 donors are becoming cheaper and cheaper..... Nowadays you can buy a entire LSx T56 donor car for less than what my TKO600 cost me..... And I have both, the TKO in my '79 and the 6spd in my C6 vert..... The 6spd is nicer.....
Unless you really want a new (new) transmission, the TKO goes for $2200 at Summit.... You could have the whole shebang new (incl bellhousing,clutch etc) for maybe $3500....

I just did the math... Dump the Super T-10 close ratio and used a ROD 6 Speed...
I get all the overall ratios I had before and picked up a streetable first gear and OD on top for those LSR runs.... LOL :beer::beer:

thum_16520903190e956.jpg

T56 here... Great aftermarket support, shifts way nicer than my buddies TKO600. I use 5th gear all the time, and 6th more than I would have thought- even with 3.55 gears.
6 speed turbo just sounds cooler too :amused: