Checking C3 driveshaft/yoke angles?

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
How the heck are you guys measuring the u-joint angle at the differential pinion yoke area? The transmission yoke area is easy to get at and measure, but the differential yoke is surrounded by a lot of stuff.

Advice?

Thanks.

I used an angle finder from HomeDepot.... comes in bright orange, under $10 :)

Last time I checked the angles was when I swapped the rear crossmember and installed the dual mount spring, it is very tight back there, there is not much space but that angle finder works ...

I found that you can get to part of the machined surface on the back of the housing (where the cover is bolted). You cant get to much surface there but enough to get a scale on it. Then measure the driveshaft angle.

Larry, I follow what you're saying. I've got a later batwing bolted on the differential so I'll take a good look to see if any of the machined surface is still available.

Karsten, I'm not following how you actually did the measurement.

I'm curious if the machined surface on the bottom of the differential (that the camber bracket bolts to) is parallel to the pinion yoke. My camber bracket is different than a stock C3 bracket so the machined surface plane is still easy to measure.

Thanks guys.

There was enough room to get the angle finder on the input yoke at the diff..... I remember the angle finder was upside down either on the trans yoke or the diff yoke, I remember being a little confused what was pointing down and what was pointing upwards.... Measured like 5 times .... Lol

I'm curious if the machined surface on the bottom of the differential (that the camber bracket bolts to) is parallel to the pinion yoke. My camber bracket is different than a stock C3 bracket so the machined surface plane is still easy to measure.

Thanks guys.
Mike, The machined surface on the bottom is not parallel to the yoke.

I used the machined surface at the back as well.
What about the machined area for the spring, is that parallel?

Last edited:
Angle finder on the diff pinion yoke. Had to use a mirror to read it though.

I used an angle finder from HomeDepot.... comes in bright orange, under $10 :)

Last time I checked the angles was when I swapped the rear crossmember and installed the dual mount spring, it is very tight back there, there is not much space but that angle finder works ...

There are some pretty good apps for Smart Phones. Surprisingly, fairly accurate angle and bubble level. They have a calibration feature also.:trumpet:

I have XClinometer on mine.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.plaincode.clinometer

Ralphy

Last edited: