New toy

What a pretty sweet deal.
What about the part Guy welded? did you put the grinder together?

Oh yeah, working pretty good, all cleaned up and painted too.
Looks brand new
Excellent, by the way got a little something for you from LA... see you next week.

Hahaha great LOL, cant wait to see more pics of that trip.

Heres pics of the sanding belt and disk,
I got this one for free because it was broken.
Cousin of mine had it in his garage for years, was pretty beat up.
Denpo got his machinist to weld the part that was broken and I have a new belt sander ....
1804f7614afaa5e9.jpg
1804f7614afdedcb.jpg

I only wished I waited for another week to paint it,, I wouldve powder coated it instead of painting it.
but what the hell. works the same

Last edited:
What size is your Leblond? I live in Cincinnati (where it was probably made) and know some people that worked there after Makino bought them. If you go into an older shop around here all you see is Lablond's and the occasional Monarch.

I lived in South Bend, IN for quite a while and every shop there had a South Bend lathe. Go figure. :harhar:

I knew a gal in So. Bend, Barb Kruchevski? (sp?) she had a '63 vert, her ex was a cop....goes back maybe almost 20 years now....her son moved here to Jax Florida....

Lotta Polacks in South Bend

That's a fact. I dated one from SB for several years. (Damn high IQ, in case anyone was going to make the usual Polack joke.)

A lathe has been on my wish list for several years. My dad was a helluva machinist, but I didn't inherit his metalworking talent. He's gone, so I can't ask him for advice on buying one. Maybe one of these years I'll stumble upon a good deal on a well preserved machine.

So tonight I started to clean up the little lathe.

I started by dismantling the tail stock wich easy and cleaned up the crud, wired brush the paint off and put it back together.
Dont want to lose parts.
I'll get to the paint tomorow.

1804f7916644e114.jpg

I didnt want to start dismantling the lathe so I went into what was in the boxes.

First I took apart one of the chucks and cleaned it up.
Under the surface rust, it looked new.
then I wire brushed a bunch of stuff.

1804f7916641c063.jpg

Next, is this guy, the motor holder.

1804f79166470fe7.jpg

It looks like crap but not to worry, the tail stock was just as bad looking LOL

Now theres a bunch of tools I never used or seen before.

I think they are for thereading but I'm not sure.
Theres maybe 10 of them different sizes.
I'll have to check what they are.

1804f79166492708.jpg

I remember, years ago, running across a huge vintage Bridgeport mill in a scrap yard auction. Even after sitting outside for a long time, everything seemed to work perfectly. Unfortunately I didn't have any way to move it or a place to put it. :(

Hey I got to work a bit on the little lathe.

Took it apart and cleaned up the rust.
Then rattle canned it .

Heres a few parts that were done a while ago, cleaned, painted and reassembled.

180503a97a17a4dd.jpg

the carriage was also dissasembled, repaired the handles shaft that were broken.

180503a9805a7553.jpg

I found 1 gear that was broken, can find it on fleabay for 125 $ I think they are gougin but I'll see, the price I paid for the lathe, I might bite the bullet and buy the friggin thing LOL

180503a9e86d3d1c.jpg

In this pic, on the left you can see the little gear missing a couples of teeths.

180503a9e8705c35.jpg

Heres the head stock dissasembled, cleaned and painted.
I didnt take off the tape because I still have to paint the underside of the unit.
The backgears unit was frozen in rust and was not working soo fixed that and now they are working perfectly.
Of course, I tested it before paint.

180503a9e87238bb.jpg

Last thing to clean up is the bed.
I'll use fine sandpaper and oil for the top of the bed to make it nice and shiny,
Theres a few nicks on the top but nothing major, after that, paint the rest.

180503a9e8743c53.jpg

Whats left is to paint a few parts, covers, gearbox etc. then reassembly.

That is next.....

Last edited:
Always nice to see old equipment brought back to life!

You bet, they dont cost much and still work great., well for me anyway.

It's starting to look a bit more like a lathe.

The head stock was a bitch to reassemble and adjust the back gear lever.
But after 3 or 4 times. it's working perfect again.

180503d310411e79.jpg

180503d30af5e427.jpg

180503d3255eea36.jpg

I remember 8th-9th grade shop class and playing with various similar looking machines, then on that early 80's job, going to various manufacturing plants and watching those machines run, and I was highly jealous of the machinists running them.....surely boring, but at end of the day, they could say they actually DID something MADE something USEFUL.....

:drink:

Thanks Stpman,

Not much done apart waiting for paint to dry.

Cleaned up the gearbox gears with degreaser and soap, then deburred the parts, dry fitted them.
180503ed0537b146.jpg

cute little gears, no damages anywhere.
180503ed053e1a41.jpg

Gearbox case is ready to go.
Well almost I just noticed I have to take the tape off the 2 shaft openings on the right side of the casing.
180503ed0541978e.jpg

But first got to wait tomorow for handles and parts to dry.
They are still in the "paint booth"
180503ed0bb37083.jpg

Last edited:
Well it now looks like a lathe again.

Not bad didnt loose too many parts and not too many left either LOL
Few things to adjust and oil and everything should be ok,
Still got to get that little gear, it drives the screw to move the carriage...
Oh well.

180504130c2b4482.jpg

compared to when I got it...
1804f712aeee4b7e.jpg

180504130c2eda1d.jpg

Next is to prep and paint the covers
180504130c325ef5.jpg

Very nice work there! I´m sure you will start thinking of how you managed to fix things for your Corvette before you bought this machine!
I´t fells like I´m manufacturing something for my Corvette restoration several times every week on my old lathe. I have a mountain of metal chips on the floor looking at me every time I enter my workshop:lol: Have to get it cleaned up...

Very nice work there! I´m sure you will start thinking of how you managed to fix things for your Corvette before you bought this machine!
I´t fells like I´m manufacturing something for my Corvette restoration several times every week on my old lathe. I have a mountain of metal chips on the floor looking at me every time I enter my workshop:lol: Have to get it cleaned up...

Thanks Daniel, I will use it for sure.

Michel, there are a couple of Yahoo Groups that have all sorts of good info on the Atlas Lathes- I got one of the small ones when my Uncle passed a year ago. Some parts are still out there too.

Well a few more parts on the little lathe.

Did the covers, one of the hinge was broken and the previous owner, kinda made one, he installed a door hinge that didnt work very well.. and looked like crap.

All I had from the old hinge was a pin, I took a piece of 2 by 1 quarter thick steel and made one that looks much better, and works.

So now the covers are painted, installed and adjusted.

1805046ee5fa0f7e.jpg

1805046edda888e9.jpg

1805046edda243b2.jpg

Next is check the motor and make a good solid table for it.

Prety happy with the results.

Last edited: