Windshield wiper switch replacement ideas

JPhil

Huh?
73 coupe, 2 speed wiper with slide switch, push for squirter, mounted in the top of the center console.

The squirter function has finally quit. It's the switch, which has been funky for years anyway.

I'd really like to have intermittent wipers, or at least another slow speed for mist conditions.
I could easily live with a separate button for squirter.
It would be nice to have the switch assembly in the stock location, but it doesn't have to be a stock switch. A rotating knob or slide wiper switch and squirter button would be fine.

Any ideas out there on something that would work? Maybe a switch & relay from 78 or so?

I already have a separate squirter pump, the OEM one on the wiper motor never did work.

And any advice about rehabbing the wipers themselves? They work OK, but sound like a 100 year old printing press and I'm always a little afraid they'll lock up or throw a rod or something.....

Thanks,
John

Last edited:
Long time ago, I put in int. wipers, and two speeds, with red button for washer, using a aftermarket electric pump, I also electrified my wiper door, being as it's a '72, since you say the switch is bad, I pretty sure I can find my old switch....but I bet you got a broken bezel plate with a crack on the sides where it's super thin/skinny metal....that bezel is the ground for the switch, so run a wire from the upper bezel to the lower bezel.....fair chance to fix it....

I built my int. wiper circuit myself, for the geek/nerd crowd ....it's nothing but a 10k pot with switch on it, a 500 mf cap hooked onto a 555 timer chip, driving a NPN transistor to close a relay I put it all in the top unit, filled and drilled the metal panel.....my car been this way for maybe 18? years now....

:eek:

I am also looking at doing something w/ my wipers. Last month I did the Hot Rod Power Tour covering over 2900 miles in my newly acquired 73. The wipers just didn't cut it. At one point they crossed up on high and got tangled...a little bending and another treatment of Rainx and the problem was temporarily solved.

I am also looking at replacing the arm w/ something a little moe aerodynamic and heavier. Next time I visit the junkyard -I'm going to check some others out. The Lambo Kit car guys like the Pontiac 6000 wiper arms- so I'll check those out first.

I looked at the 78-82 intermittent piece and there's a new electronic piece -

Looks like it might be the ticket- A little over $100

Richard

http://shop.docrebuild.com/1978-197...ntermittentDelayModuleReplacesGM14005004.aspx

1014479.jpg

Here's the switch used on the 78-79

1818008.jpg