which is more useful?

Steve J

OK here's scenario:
got a line on a used snap-on scantool/diagnostic (the $4K kind) but it desperately needs software upgrade making my cost ~$2,000. Do you think i'll get my money back out of it? Dealer is currently getting $100 per scan. It would only be for our cars and occasional once/twice a year odd job on others.
OR
Should i skip it and buy some shop equip instead? I'm debating between drill press and planer as i also do woodworking. thoughts?

steve

$2000 will buy you a lot of tools. If you think you will use the scantool enough to pay for it, maybe that's a good idea. I would rather have the tools, especially if you are doing woodworking also.

OK here's scenario:
got a line on a used snap-on scantool/diagnostic (the $4K kind) but it desperately needs software upgrade making my cost ~$2,000. Do you think i'll get my money back out of it? Dealer is currently getting $100 per scan. It would only be for our cars and occasional once/twice a year odd job on others.
OR
Should i skip it and buy some shop equip instead? I'm debating between drill press and planer as i also do woodworking. thoughts?

steve

Ask TimAT. he has one. I borrowed it last year. Neat toy.

If you have a lap-top, you can by the interface cable and buy the diagnostics software. Lots less $$$$.

I'm with G on this too. I've got the scan tool- I used it quite a bit when I was wrenching at the dealers. Quit that in '88 and since then I bet I used it 10 times. The software updates are $600+ and I'm too cheap to spend that kind of bucks on something that I don't use.

I can't remember the name of the company, but you can get a cable and the software for way less- and it's easy to upgrade/update for newer cars.

If you have a lap-top, you can by the interface cable and buy the diagnostics software. Lots less $$$$.

Yep i have laptop and that sounds like a better route to go. Tried to kill the laptop by dumping water on it yesterday but luckily it dried out no problem.

Any one needing to diagnose the MEFI ECU, typically used on RamJet crate motors and Boats, let me know, I have the MEFI Scan & Tune files. It would be easy to build your own ALDL cable or buy one from the site Big G posted. With Scanner Pro and that cable you could see what's going on. If you need to burn a new bin, I could do that but need to send me the MEFI ECU. The MEFI burn SW has a key and is proprietary. Scanner Pro is beta free for now I believe. Snap-on doesn't support MEFI, I checked.

Bullshark

Last edited:
Me me me me me me me :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

I have an ALDL to USB cable