Titanium question.

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
I was shortening the inlet pipe this afternoon on a spare muffler off my old Yamaha R1. (Actually, it was the original that got scratched up when I highsided at Putnam Park a few years ago.) Those mufflers are labeled "titanium", and I assumed it was just the main body of the muffler that was titanium, and the shiny inlet pipe was stainless steel. However, when I was cutting the pipe shorter (I'm adapting it to my big mower, in place of that POS muffler that came on the B&S engine) with my chop saw, the sparks were bright white/silver. I've cut a lot of stainless steel before, and it never did that, so I'm assuming the pipe was titanium too. So, anybody else ever cut/grind titanium (and get those same bright sparks)?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zeqIO9nOqo[/ame]

Even better video :
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_uO7PU8l8Y&feature=related[/ame]
The guy goes through all type of metal

Last edited:
Yep, must be titanium. After I posted I got to thinking about F1 cars. I recall seeing a ton of sparks coming out the back of those cars when they occasionally bottomed out at different parts of the track. IIRC, they had titanium rubbing strips on the bottom of the car.

Interesting, we never played with it, but that metal detector company I worked at did NDT work on early Rolls Royce RB211? jet engine first stage fan/compressor built gear that automatically inspected the blades and rotor/hub surfaces for stress cracks....took me and Debbie the lead board assembler, about 6 months to get that pile of parts ready for testing....:crutches:

i cut some ti plate for brake pad heat shields. It was a long time ago but i remembered it was tough going even for thin plate. Seems the disc loads up a bit more.

Those 4" hand grinders/cutters are very dangerous. I took a small section of skin off my thumb when it kicked back. Always use heavy gloves and heavy duty goggles when grinding. Those discs can fly apart.

i cut some ti plate for brake pad heat shields. It was a long time ago but i remembered it was tough going even for thin plate. Seems the disc loads up a bit more.

Those 4" hand grinders/cutters are very dangerous. I took a small section of skin off my thumb when it kicked back. Always use heavy gloves and heavy duty goggles when grinding. Those discs can fly apart.[/QUOTE]

UMMM hummm, especially the cheep ones from H. Freight....:twitch::surrender: