what street cam?

BangkokDean

What is the best cam for heavy stop and go (Bangkok) street use in a stoked SBC 427?

Camshaft Specs:
Hydraulic Roller
Duration @ .050'' Lift: 244 Intake / 252 Exhaust
Lift: .609'' Intake / .576'' Exhaust
Lobe Seperation: 112°

Camshaft Specs:
Hydraulic Roller
Duration advertised 294° Intake, 300° Exhaust
Duration @ .050'' Lift 241° Intake, 247° Exhaust
lift .545 Intake, .565 Exhaust

Can't help you there Dean, but to just say loudly, DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM TPIS, CHASKA MINN. When I put this engine in the '72, back in '97, I bought a POS called a ZZ9 cam from them, ran fine for a few months and then it went to an INTERMITTANT rough idle.... sometimes smooth as glass, but increasingly rough as crap....drove me nutz looking for the problem for years, I went through computers, chips, injectors, wires, dizzies, plugs, heads intakes, you name it....once in a while smooth, next day rough again....

the CAM was the cause of it all, I got a stock L98 cam from one of the nice guys on this forum..:friends:..and with gas shooting up in price, I decided to swap it over and about shit at the appearance of the cam upon removal, and strangely enough the LIFTERS were perfect and still in use....looked like the metallurgy of the cam had failed on about 6 lobes,....

:crutches::(

that is a set of stout cams for stop and go traffic.

personally, I'd go with lift over duration (the first cam) because you're not zipping the rpms to the moon. If you do start spinning that motor a lot - you will need to buy stock in a valve-spring company.... but that's true for either cam.

The second cam - the valves are open for all but 12* (doing math on the fly here).... and while they don't open as far, that duration puts you in the danger zone of a valve opening into a piston. It will sound awesome, but it'll suck in traffic because you'll have no torque.... but hit 6500 rpm and the Ferraris will shut down in respect for the holy sound coming from your C3

The first cam - duration is more reasonable, but those ramps to get that kind of lift at that lobe separation will really put a strain on the lifter wheels (and I presume solid roller). In that case, I'd spend the extra dollars and get non-needle bearing lifters.

On both cams, in hopes of saving springs, I'd use non-roller-tip rockers to lower the weight over the valve spring.... I'd also look into shaft-mounted rockers.

I'm with the first cam - and I'd really dial back the duration or increase the overlap to make it more streetable (or both).

what compression ratio? what kind of gas are you going to use (I've no idea the octane where you're at). Are you just driving the car or racing it? Are you looking for best performance? radical sound? Manual or Automatic? solid or hydraulic? roller or flat tappet? if automatic, stall speed of the torque converter? what gear ratio is in the rear? I presume this is for your C3?

what compression ratio? what kind of gas are you going to use (I've no idea the octane where you're at). Are you just driving the car or racing it? Are you looking for best performance? radical sound? Manual or Automatic? solid or hydraulic? roller or flat tappet? if automatic, stall speed of the torque converter? what gear ratio is in the rear? I presume this is for your C3?

Compression 10 to 1, 93 octane, hydraulic roller cam, manual trans, mostly congested street crawling and some highway driving.

5 speed .8 overdrive 3.73 rear gears

Not too radical due to the heat, stop and crawl traffic here.