Hand held sandblasters?

DJ Dep

refugee from the other place
I wondered if anyone had any feedback on these gizmos? Are they worth a dang or just another ripoff? I have a couple of steel wheels that I'd like to remove the rust from and wondered if these would be worth the investment.

Takes a LOT of CFM is all I remember, a buddy used to do some at my place, I had a ~6 hp 80 gallon 2 stage compressor, and it could keep up....but there was something about 2 guns he had, one was a POS, and the other worked well, sorry can't remember....only been 20 years....:crutches:

Here are a couple on Amazon:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Hand-Portable-Gravity-Sandblaster-Blaster/dp/B001CBRCYI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335382046&sr=8-1[/ame]

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Blaster-GOJ-007B-Color-Varies/dp/B0013HBZEY/ref=pd_cp_hi_1[/ame]

I wondered if anyone had any feedback on these gizmos? Are they worth a dang or just another ripoff? I have a couple of steel wheels that I'd like to remove the rust from and wondered if these would be worth the investment.

Depends. The larger Harbor Freight units are nice/bead blasters.
If you have just a couple wheels, send em out.

I lucky in one respect....my powder coating joint down the street handles industrial down to almost nothing....hubby/wife kids bought from p/owner, and so I give them all the business I can....and that's from minor sand blasting to the other work....always comes out perfect....

:drink:

Not sure there is anywhere to send them in my town. I'll have to check with NAPA and see if they'll do it.

the $120 HarborFreight blaster is big enough to fit a 15" rim

it will get the job done and a few future jobs....

having four rims blasted can vary from $50 to god knows what these people think hey can charge......

your choice.....

I also have a $25 handheld blaster, it's ok for small stuff but not four rims....

in the past I have had two sand blasters.....and none now. my conclusion was unless you went really big with an integral vacuum system they dont work that well, create a mess, take up space and are a safety hazard.

i paid some body to sand blast my last set of wheels. and unless i get a really big shop i dont see one of those coming my way anytime soon.

Long long ago I bought one of those ones that's just a pistol grip with a couple different orifice nozzles and a hose you put into a bucket for the pickup. Plug in the airline and the venturi effect sucks the sand.
Not bad, for the price. It worked pretty darn good when it was new. The biggest problem is adequate air capacity at pressure. It needs pressure. My 110 psi max is barely adequate for proper operation, and my air tank capacity is not enough to keep it that high for very long. It works for small parts like a-arms, headers, that type of thing & it would work fine for wheels, but there's a lot of waiting for the air to build up again. I made a sand reservoir from a 5-gallon water bottle turned upside down in a small square milk crate with the bottom (now top) cut off and a cork with the pickup tube in the top (now bottom)(---well, like it is on the water cooler). That helped too.
It works if you only need one infrequently, and for not serious blasting. Mine's old enough now and worn out enough (Well, it's also sandblasting its innards) that it ain't much good and it's time I should get another, but I'll wait till I need it again and this old one pisses me off enough.
Don't use beach sand or dirty sand--go buy clean sand at the Home Despot.
Wear goggles & a bandana around your nose & mouth.

Last edited:
JPhil: What you report is pretty much what folks on Amazon.com reported. Good for small stuff and a big drain on compressors. My compressor is good, but certainly no gas station compressor. I guess I will search for a machine shop that does the work. Thanks to everyone for the input. Saved me from wasting $$$ :thumbs: