looking for roadrace oil pan for one piece main block

daveL82

I have a ZZ4 motor I run in my track day vette. I've tried to use a canton roadrace pan and while it controls oil it will not stop leaking at the timing cover and rear main. I've replaced the gasket 3 times following Cantons directions with no luck.

Can anyone recommend another brand that may have better seal flanges? Need one for the one piece main seal and passenger side dipstick.

I can't help you with a new one, but when you find one, I would like to take the Canton off your hands.
Of course, there is always the option of taking a factory pan that does seal and have a kick out sump, baffles and trap doors put in it. Expensive, but probably not so much more than the Canton.

are you using fel pro? I've had nothing but leaks with them, reusing the stock gray gm one solved the problem

I have a ZZ4 motor I run in my track day vette. I've tried to use a canton roadrace pan and while it controls oil it will not stop leaking at the timing cover and rear main. I've replaced the gasket 3 times following Cantons directions with no luck.

Can anyone recommend another brand that may have better seal flanges? Need one for the one piece main seal and passenger side dipstick.

I have the same pan.

Over on speedtalk, I was asking questions and discussing it. The general concensus was that they would never completly seal. A guy from Canton came over to offer advice in public.

He suggested to cut of the front and rear part that goes over the timing cover and seal adapter in the rear and use silicone. The advice was only to use the side rails.

The general concensus on the forum was this was the way to go.

Have to add, that this weekend I flushed my engine with oil and to check my oil lines, the fit of things etc. The rear of the GM seal I have leaked as well...I will go with the advice given , silicone (blue)

Looks like my canton is cadmium plated. Not a good thing to weld. Buy the time you cut and weld I could buy a new one.

Seal never leaks on the block side it's all ways between the curved seal and pan. Maybe try the multi piece seal as TT mentioned. Been a real pain.

Moroso pan any better?

Ive got a multi piece cork felpro gasket set on my canton... No leaks at all. Just make sure you get the thick front seal.

are you using fel pro? I've had nothing but leaks with them, reusing the stock gray gm one solved the problem

I only had one leak with a cheap Chinese pan, the Moroso pan sealed good with the one piece.:amused:

That rolled curved section of the pan both front and rear is severly stretched during forming and I've seen many small leak path defects on those surfaces on both my Canton and GM pan. A quick poilsh on the sealing surface to remove the deep scratches has fixed the leaks for me. Now I polish first - no leakers.

Grampy

I didn't mention the multi piece seals, I never use them. I meant the stock gm 1pc gasket. The felpro is junk

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

That rolled curved section of the pan both front and rear is severly stretched during forming and I've seen many small leak path defects on those surfaces on both my Canton and GM pan. A quick poilsh on the sealing surface to remove the deep scratches has fixed the leaks for me. Now I polish first - no leakers.

Grampy

Good idea.

Maybe Canton starts out with a Chinese cheap pan. The bolt holes were all in the wrong locations as well.

Last edited:
Using a cut and weld MOROSO. Five trap doors with kick outs. Does not leak, but still have oil control issues. Accusump for backup.

Speedway motors has a lot of pans.

Were you going to post photos of your aluminum dash install?

Champ style 7" deep, 6 trap doors, 2 runners, 3 crank scrapers, 7 quart sump. Stock starter will fit.
on sale for 79$

Last edited:
Found the u weld it kit. May give that a try using my mig.

Wow so I found out why it was leaking out the front. The zz4 plastic timing cover was breaking up at the bottom where the U part of the seal sits! Should have changed it steel or aluminum before putting the motor in. Oh and I did pick up the GM gasket.

Thinking I should put in a cam while I have the cover off. Limited by heads but why not.