cutting up my 90 vette

JeffP1167

well I started totally stripping my 90 project vette and cutting the floors out and a & b pillars off and turning the car into a rolling frame so I can start with my 82 suspension and drivetrain conversion. I'm basically just cutting up the whole body and selling un-needed parts from the car. I should have it stripped to a rolling frame in a few days.

so you fixed it up first and now are breaking it apart? what a shame....

Pics please! Interested in seeing the floor pan removal.
Also - is you mod doing anything with the firewall?
Cheers - Jim

so you fixed it up first and now are breaking it apart? what a shame....

DMV wants almost 2k to register it .... So it is my donor car. Plus this car was hit hard in rear at some point and as things are cut off I can see they used bondo to attach the whole rear tub and it cracks easily. All it's parts for the most part will be recycled on my 82.

Didn't you have ZR1 brakes on it? You'll be using those right? Still looking for a set of J55 abutments to fix the brake issue on that 92 GTA ;)

actually going to try and use all the electronics from the car, the better a/c system, suspension of course. Gonna turn my 82 into a refined car, plus using the 90 electronics no more fuse box down in the hell hole area.

actually going to try and use all the electronics from the car, the better a/c system, suspension of course. Gonna turn my 82 into a refined car, plus using the 90 electronics no more fuse box down in the hell hole area.

Put it in a inside place, not the door jamb, can't tell you how many C4's I seen with flamed out fuse blocks from water damage from leaking door gaskets....For that matter, computer also, ....heat and weather kill electronics, :thumbs:

my brother had a 90(ish) Corvette convertible that went swimming - funny part was, despite being a submarine, it didn't have huge electrical problems.... my C3, on the other hand, has required replacement of everything. :tomato:

my brother had a 90(ish) Corvette convertible that went swimming - funny part was, despite being a submarine, it didn't have huge electrical problems.... my C3, on the other hand, has required replacement of everything. :tomato:

Then he is lucky, I don't see how it went swimming and the CCM,CDM, and others since there are a bunch of them in a 90 dash that are non weather pack electronics couldn't have been affected.

as long as the electrical components weren't powered when dunked, they weren't submerged long, and were dried ... most survive just fine

please don't assume the car was peachy... it was a POS, but at least the electrical worked :thumbs:

as long as the electrical components weren't powered when dunked, they weren't submerged long, and were dried ... most survive just fine

please don't assume the car was peachy... it was a POS, but at least the electrical worked :thumbs:
Then he is lucky, most have electrical issues and were never dunked, I can't think of one 90 that has never had SYS issues, abs, ccm, cdm, climate control issues.

But I guess that is why my electronic parts are selling easily.

Well I have all the electrical stuff removed from the car and every possible thing from the interior removed. This weekend I am going to cut the "A" pillars just below the lower door hinges and cut the "B" pillars just above the door strikers and cut the metal areas of the floor pans and riser out and this should make the body come off in one piece. Then just going to cut it up in small pieces and take the rolling frame to storage and get my 82 out of storage and ready for all this stuff to be transplanted into it.

If the c4 suspension is too much of a hassle I am just going to put the L98 in it and rebuild my 82's suspension and save up for a frame that is built for c4 suspension.

I will start a new thread on the 82's progress.

Well I have all the electrical stuff removed from the car and every possible thing from the interior removed. This weekend I am going to cut the "A" pillars just below the lower door hinges and cut the "B" pillars just above the door strikers and cut the metal areas of the floor pans and riser out and this should make the body come off in one piece. Then just going to cut it up in small pieces and take the rolling frame to storage and get my 82 out of storage and ready for all this stuff to be transplanted into it.

If the c4 suspension is too much of a hassle I am just going to put the L98 in it and rebuild my 82's suspension and save up for a frame that is built for c4 suspension.

These guys with those diagrams and all this talk of 'instant center, roll center, and other oddball terms I not going to bother with, I have to ask just how much this all is going to bring to MY table, and so I trust ZORA to have done a pretty good job back when I was a kid......:clap:

These guys with those diagrams and all this talk of 'instant center, roll center, and other oddball terms I not going to bother with, I have to ask just how much this all is going to bring to MY table, and so I trust ZORA to have done a pretty good job back when I was a kid......:clap:

The car will never be tracked or drivin hard, so I doubt all the roll center etc. stuff will be critical in my build. I just want it to have a better suspension system and drive as well as my 97 camaro. Loosing weight in the process will be icing on the cake.

Just want it to drive nice is all, I know it won't do what a c4 will but that isn't this 82's purpose. Looks and and functionality are what I am after. I might also polish all it's suspension.

Last edited:

Put it in a inside place, not the door jamb, can't tell you how many C4's I seen with flamed out fuse blocks from water damage from leaking door gaskets....For that matter, computer also, ....heat and weather kill electronics, :thumbs:

Noted .... But my 90's ecm is under the hood, so it is designed for those conditions.

well made progress today. Saturday will lift windshield and firewall off.

Left and right "A" pillars

framecut001.jpg

framecut003.jpg

Passenger compartment area under seats cut out

framecut004.jpg

framecut005.jpg