Little garage overhaulin

1Michel

Heres what I've been up to lately.

I got some cabinets a while ago and wanted more storage room since the garage is getting cloged up a bit.
Sooooo
Bought a bunch of 2 by 4's and started to frame upper cabinets , well it got out of hand and firt thing I knew, well see pics.

Started with this.
18050de594c524b4.jpg

Framed Fastphil,
18050de594c6ce83.jpg

Then soon enough, the upper cabinets were framed
18050de594c7d81a.jpg

Hired my son Mathieu for some acrobatic moves
18050de594c8d9e6.jpg

Soon enough, the cabinets became mezzanines over the garage doors and the compressor who will later be covered.
18050de594c9ef3f.jpg

Made some more upper cabinets on the other side of the garage and space for the all important fridge.
18050de594cb1434.jpg

While I was at it, might as well make a solid shelf for the lathe.
18050de594ce5433.jpg

Then, there was the powder coat oven, I had to fit this thing in there.
I was alone and of course couldnt wait, so I got it up there.
It's hung from the top frame I previously made.
and using threaded rods for level adjustments.
18050de594cc40fb.jpg

A little scary but I persuaded the damn thing to get up there.
18050de594cb1434.jpg

Sooo here wher I stand tonight.
Not bad since I work with one and a half hand LOL
18050de594cd4a96.jpg

Now that's better!
18050de5e7adaf87.jpg

After spending more than a year in my garage, I'm glad I gave you back your engine hoist in time, you're putting it to good use.
You're garage was already damn cool, you're now entering the awesome zone.
By the way, where's the Cuban humidor?

A lot of great ideas there. Will have to consider all of them for my "make-over." Did you start with a plan - or let it evolve? I like the space over the garage door use - so wasted usually. It is a little tough to tell from the pics - but is it pretty much a 2-car garage?

Cheers - Jim

:beer:

SWEET work, looks good,

NOW.....:shocking: You simply must realize that shit multiplied to occupy all available space......:crap:

looks great, I'd let you do those for my garage too :)

I warn you , I work sloooowwww. LOL

After spending more than a year in my garage, I'm glad I gave you back your engine hoist in time, you're putting it to good use.
You're garage was already damn cool, you're now entering the awesome zone.
By the way, where's the Cuban humidor?

Hey I couldnt use it anyway, Cuban humidor, it's in the house, Mathieu is in Holguin for a week and more Cubans are coming this way.;-P

A lot of great ideas there. Will have to consider all of them for my "make-over." Did you start with a plan - or let it evolve? I like the space over the garage door use - so wasted usually. It is a little tough to tell from the pics - but is it pretty much a 2-car garage?

Cheers - Jim
It's a 2 doors garage, 21 by 28
Started a while ago, it just evolved with what I have in the garage.
I first I bought some warehouse metal shelvings to do one wall, then I put a 8 by 4 quarter inch plate to make a workbench.

For the other walls, it started by the sandblast cabinet in the space between the doors.
http://vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2702I
I used left over from the metal shelvings made doors.
Then I put the compressor on top of it.

The cabinets came later, where I work they were rebuilding the kitchen so I took the cabinets, came free.

I try make sure nothing is on the floor, everything is on caster wheels so this way, I can hose down the floor easyer to keep clean. It's not a detatch garage, part of the house so I try to keep it cleaner...

:beer:

SWEET work, looks good,

NOW.....:shocking: You simply must realize that shit multiplied to occupy all available space......:crap:

yeah I know, Thas one reason why I'M building those.
The lathe is rebuilded and taking a lot of room on the work bench so I had to make room for it
http://vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8131

Last edited:
Plan? What's that? Michel and I started with 20 pieces of 2x4x8', a tape measure and a bench saw. Everything else was fantasy. I imagine that eventually, Michel will get back to working on the Corvette, but for now he's having fun playing with his wood. :smash:

I see you put your air compressor up high off the floor. I did the same, floor space is a premium with a limited size garage.

Looking good!

Ralphy

most important..brewsky in the fridge :thumbs:
hey, cant have a garage and no beer in sight huh?

I see you put your air compressor up high off the floor. I did the same, floor space is a premium with a limited size garage.

Looking good!

Ralphy
Thanks Ralphy, It was a biatch to bring it up there. lol
I always try to get things off the floor, this way I can hose it and let dry after I'm finished working.
Easyer to clean.

Plan? What's that? Michel and I started with 20 pieces of 2x4x8', a tape measure and a bench saw. Everything else was fantasy. I imagine that eventually, Michel will get back to working on the Corvette, but for now he's having fun playing with his wood. :smash:

Plans??? what plans lol I make them as I go along, it could be called the ''ever changing garage''
huh?

Last edited:
After your support of the medical community, I'm not certain that alcohol in you garage is a beneficial thing (I know, sacrilege to a Canadian)

Well after beeing ''idle'' I'm back at reorganizing the garage.

Since the upper cabinets are made out of 2 by 4 bolted to the wall studs using 3 inch bolts plus they are suspended using threaded rod thru the ceiling, it is very solid but not prety.
so I started to cover everything with 4.5 inch strips of MDF.

Used construction glue and nailed everything with finishing nails.
NOT going to move.

18051b801ebef268.jpg

Sliders are installed for the doors who will be made later.

Powder coat oven was taken down, didnt like the layout, I'm thinking about making a slightly bigger one using the parts of this one.
will see later .

Last edited:
eventually, I'm sure I'll make a powder coating oven.... but every time I sit down to design it - I list what I want to use it for and the oven gets bigger.... right now, I'm thinking of just insulating my entire 30x36' shop - that might be big enough :smash:

Eh, I lucked out and got a place called Powder Tech about 3 miles away.....

needless to say they did the stuff on the vette, 2 rocker panels, 2 R/View mirrors, grill assy, license frame, and tail light grills...whole mess was less than 200 bux....

:smash::eek:

but every time I sit down to design it - I list what I want to use it for and the oven gets bigger....

Thats one piece of equipment or tool that can become gigantic if we listen to ourselves.

I just want one that I can do wheels and suspension parts.
This one is too small to do wheels. It can be done but I dont think it will do a good job, wont be enough air movement inside.

I painted the wheels on my H3 grey to see if I liked the color contrast... I've decided I do, so I'm looking for another set of wheels to powder coat dark grey (paint is chipping on these wheels since they're chromed, aluminum wheels)

but every time I sit down to design it - I list what I want to use it for and the oven gets bigger....

Thats one piece of equipment or tool that can become gigantic if we listen to ourselves.

I just want one that I can do wheels and suspension parts.
This one is too small to do wheels. It can be done but I dont think it will do a good job, wont be enough air movement inside.

Buy a palet of refractory brick/panel, stack'em up to make a temporary oven, use it, bring'em back, get refund. :evil:
Thank you Home Depot :rofl:

I'm so happy that you're rebooting all this up.
Keep it up!

Buy a palet of refractory brick/panel, stack'em up to make a temporary oven, use it, bring'em back, get refund. :evil:
Thank you Home Depot :rofl:

I'm so happy that you're rebooting all this up.

Thanks Denis, hey that would be a pizza oven for the backyard huh?
Dont give Jo any ideas!