Paint & Body work estimates

DeeVeeEight

Fast Pedalphile
You want to take a guess?...

5K?

10K?

20K or more?

How about all of the above?

I apparently made things worse by stripping the paint down to bare FG.

The Restoration shop's estimate was between 20K and 25K. I am sorry, I don't have that kind of coin plus the car will never fetch that kind of price even on a good day.

The local auto body shop does a fair amount of C3's, they want 10K

Out of desperation I went to Maaco, they want $5500.00

:crutches:

I do not have the skills or inclination to try and do it myself!

I am putting the car back in the garage for a while. I hope my lottery ticket wins!:sweat:

It's a PAINT in the ass for me, hate any kind of painting, it NEVER turns out....even the walls of my house.....

and GOD help me on body work,....sometimes it turns out ok, but mostly NOT,....

which makes me wonder about just HOW it can be purrfect one time and total shit another....:(

Painted my 79 back in 2006, never painted a car before, never owned a paintgun.... Paint is still on there and still shiny.....look at my photos....

60 gal compressor, HomeDepot $450
DeVilbiss Finishline HVLP gun , $300 including the tips and regulator and hose
Urethane primer: $100 a gallon
Basecoat: 120-200 a gallon, Ebay seller Wmesq sells PPG Deltron cheap, reducer is another $70 a gallon
Clearcoat: Southernpolyurethanes, $250 shipped for two sprayable gallons, PPG shopline is $200 for 1.5 gallons , both are good quality clearcoats

Roughly $1600 incl the cleaner, masking stuff etc.....

Urethane base/clear is so simple to use, even I can do it......:clap::clap:

I can feel your pain(t)
I'm currently on the hunt for a reasonably priced bodywork/paint job.

So far I have a guy that take care of the whole body for 6k, he almost only do Corvettes.
And another possible lead on someone that ask 3k, given you come with a clean body (I assume he don't do the guide coats iterations). he has done a couple of C2's of the local Vette club. C2 guys are very anal over details here so I pretty sure he's good.

I'm thinking about making the car road legal (lights, windshield and plate) so I can take it to nearest paint both (2 blocks away).
There, they put sealer and high build primer, I drive it home and do all the guide coat/blocking stuff myself.
I repeat primer once satisfied then take it to a pro for the paint/clear.
I know I won't get showroom paint with my budget but at least I try to put money for what matters and eat the monkey job.

You don't need a booth to shoot epoxy primer and high build urethane, it's getting sanded anyways. With the HVLP guns you get almost no overspray so you can spray that in your garage or driveway ......

You don't need a booth to shoot epoxy primer and high build urethane, it's getting sanded anyways. With the HVLP guns you get almost no overspray so you can spray that in your garage or driveway ......
Could work in a suburb with cool neighborhood, won't fly in town, even if only for the smell I expect to be at least noticeable if not nasty.
I even got rooftop-gardener hippies in the street.
That being said you make me wanna try doing the primer myself, somewhere...

The clearcoat is extremely nasty, the primer is actually not much worse than spraying rattle cans. Primer is thick,it goes on wet, you spray it with like 10psi at the cap.... SMyda does not post much anymore but he's doing paint/bodywork for a living..... Send him a email or PM......

The clearcoat is extremely nasty, the primer is actually not much worse than spraying rattle cans. Primer is thick,it goes on wet, you spray it with like 10psi at the cap.... SMyda does not post much anymore but he's doing paint/bodywork for a living..... Send him a email or PM......
Thanks the tip :thumbs:I will.

Last edited:
Painted my 79 back in 2006, never painted a car before, never owned a paintgun.... Paint is still on there and still shiny.....look at my photos....

60 gal compressor, HomeDepot $450
DeVilbiss Finishline HVLP gun , $300 including the tips and regulator and hose
Urethane primer: $100 a gallon
Basecoat: 120-200 a gallon, Ebay seller Wmesq sells PPG Deltron cheap, reducer is another $70 a gallon
Clearcoat: Southernpolyurethanes, $250 shipped for two sprayable gallons, PPG shopline is $200 for 1.5 gallons , both are good quality clearcoats

Roughly $1600 incl the cleaner, masking stuff etc.....

Urethane base/clear is so simple to use, even I can do it......:clap::clap:

Very tempting....

My greatest concern is my handicapped neighbor if I spray in the driveway. I would have to talk with his family and see if it would create difficulties for him breathing wise. Their house is very close to my driveway and garage.

Back in my younger days, we rented storage buildings with power for a month and painted our cars in the storage locker. Make sure it's a 24 hr access unit and do it while everyone is asleep. I've done a lot of nice driver jobs in storage lockers. It's and option to think about. Good luck.

storage places are an option... for the final spray (base/clear) you might as well rent a booth for a day..... I don't think you need more time than a day if you finish all the primer and blocking work at home.
Again: the primer isn't bad at all, the nozzle is huge, the pressure low. It's so friggin clean it is very very tempting to not even wear a respirator - which is a really bad idea but tempting because you don't see overspray... when the gun is adjusted right, you'll see the primer goes on "wet" and there's no material bouncing back from the surface ... well, you still smell the fumes and those are very noticeable.... buy your neighbor a movie ticket and spray when he's gone.....

you might try high schools with an auto body program or technical colleges. I've seen lousy paint jobs come out beautiful after you wet sand and buff.:waxer: