how do you clean a map sensor ?

JeffP1167

this is on my 97 camaro with 3.8 v-6. I see like what looks like charcoal particles built up on it's screen, the map sensor has like torx screws with little pegs in the center. Is it safe to mess with this and pull it out then spray the screen with carb cleaner?

It also has what looks like a snap ring that secures the screen but not sure if the screen will get damage if trying to remove it like that.

This isn't a separate map sensor it is all built into the throttle body

any of you service one of these ????

with MAP sensor cleaner - get it at NAPA.
no need to disassemble

use carb cleaner if you wish to put a carb on that motor.

MAP or MAF?

Sorry, yes I meant maf. I think if I just tape of the maf inlet where the wire is it will be safe to clean the throttle body. This one isnt like older tpi's and the wire is contained in a housing with a inlet.

I got the maf screen out (yes it will be going back in) I don't think it is a good idea to remove these screens from any maf. There for a reason and this one stopped particles from getting into the maf.

maf001.jpg

Just cleaned it with carb cleaner

maf002.jpg

this is what I mean about the maf inlet, can I just tape off the inlet and spray the throttle body down? I've never had maf issues and don't want to mess with it and cause any.

maf003.jpg

You not going to hurt the wires if you just wash down GENTLY with the brake cleaner, and rinse out the interior with it, do NOT hit wires with full force close up cleaner though if it breaks, you in troubles....

I have cleaned several with the above common sense approach to whatever results that were not proven, but ONCE I cleared a code doing it....

I know, shakey recommendation......:surrender:

cleaned a hundred of them. i have used throttle body cleaner(not as harsh as carb clean) and i have used the special MAF cleaner....never cleaned one and actually fixed it...customers usually opt to try cleaning first before spending the bucks to buy a new one. could work someday.

I've never used the spray to fix one. However, I have used the spray every oil change - and the first oil change on a used car I netted a 1.5 mpg improvement... so it is worth it for basic maintenance. Not so much for repair :rain:

You reminded me of the service I needed to do to my H3

PA020001_zps7a3d38a7.jpg

PA020002_zps3f862da8.jpg

the little grey clip slides up to remove (squeeze the black point once the grey clip slides up)
PA020005_zps05129837.jpg

and slides down when you're done
PA020006_zps8e60230d.jpg