Brake calipers - O ring install

MYBAD79

Started another project today: rebuilding a set of calipers with O-ring seals.

I got a set of used calipers, I started with the rear calipers... as you can see on the photos they are already stainless sleeved so all it takes is a good cleaning, measuring the ID of the sleeve to verify it's not too loose and reassembly with new seals and new pistons.

Here's a pic of what I started with:

2149728346a4e27.jpg

I pulled the four pistons and removed the seals from one piston to show what it looks like:
214972834854585.jpg
You'll find two seals and a spring with each piston.

214972834925efc.jpg

These calipers were rebuilt with lip seals, I tried to get a good pic of the seals... the lip seal and the dust seal...

Below are two pics of the piston bores and some black crud that I found inside the calipers... nasty....

2149728347373eb.jpg
2149728347c7113.jpg
The pic below shows the seal for the crossover line from one caliper half to the other. Make sure you don't forget to install this seal....

2149728349b601a.jpg

The pic below shows the caliper halves after I hit them with brake cleaner... not too bad compared to what I started with...
214972834a80489.jpg

:harhar:

seen more than a few of them apart....what is the deal??? Linda looked at the screen from across the room and said '" Who's WATCH fell apart?".....

:fishing:

MyBad's watch..

I did the calipers for Ol' Red last winter. They were full of that black goo also. Soft and cleaned up with a shot of Brake Kleen. I didn't bother to measure anything but they went back together so easily I guessed that the bore was the right size. So far, no leaks and it stops just fine. I asked questions about putting the springs back in and 90% of the replies were to leave them out so I did. Well worth the effort IMHO. I'm sure the new braided SS flex lines, new master cylinder, and the system flush didn't hurt either.

For those who are interested in doing the job themselves... those who are afraid of rebuilding brake calipers.... DON'T be afraid... it's easy.....

my opinion: the big part stores sell these for $60 and make a profit... $34 is the core value.... that person who is rebuilding these for them is probably not making more than $4 an hour ... you have to clean the parts, install new seals and dust shields, new bolts (these had new bolts)... not much room for profit if you want a quality job....

do it yourself, do it right....

For those who are interested in doing the job themselves... those who are afraid of rebuilding brake calipers.... DON'T be afraid... it's easy.....

my opinion: the big part stores sell these for $60 and make a profit... $34 is the core value.... that person who is rebuilding these for them is probably not making more than $4 an hour ... you have to clean the parts, install new seals and dust shields, new bolts (these had new bolts)... not much room for profit if you want a quality job....

do it yourself, do it right....

OH sure, no question, I hate to say this, but I remember when disc brakes were a hot lick and did my first set of pads.....it went so quickly, the guy over my shoulder laughed when I questioned...that's ALL???

well compared to DRUMS and grinding/rebuilding a brake cylinder hanging them useless shoes, and then setting the adjuster....

:banghead::banghead::gurney::drink:

Specially O-ring pistons. MUCH easier.

Here's the other rear caliper and a close up of the O-ring that seals between the two caliper halves:

2149746af6e94a2.jpg
2149746af787a27.jpg

this is a round O-ring and the other caliper had a flat rubber seal ring installed.

After blasting:

2149746af7e6de6.jpg
2149746af86f3af.jpg

One of these is a Delco casting, the other one is some other manufacturer. There's no Delco lettering on that caliper and the casting is slightly different (pocket between the two cylinders is deeper on the Delco) On the last picture above you can see a symbol cast into the bottom of the pocket on the first caliper, the third half from the left does not have this symbol cast in....

I smoothened the outside with a sandpaper disc prior to blasting so now there are no numbers and no lettering...

Thought about using the dishwasher but the blaster got most of the dirt off :lol:

I painted the rear calipers today, used the old dust caps to mask off the bores:

2149751bdb45c21.jpg
2149751bdc868e4.jpg
2149751bdc0a0ce.jpg
2149751bdd42cb2.jpg

Once the paint is dry I'll pop the new pistons in there....

See, after the yellow brake booster and the green master cylinder we now have red calipers. A true German ;)

J/K Seriously, looking very good.Is that epoxy paint or rattle can stuff?

I resisted the urge to paint them purple .... :stirpot:

It's rattle can caliper paint - that stuff has been holding up really good on my Z28 for 7 years and 100K miles.... and I did not even take the calipers off when I painted those.... just wire brushed and sprayed it down with brake cleaner....

With my wheels, I can't even see the calipers...saves me time and effort....:stirpot::2nd::crutches:

Done... installed the O-rings and the dust shields onto the pistons and installed the pistons, bolted the two halves together (with new O-rings between the halves)....
lotsa new parts:

214976842150057.jpg
O-ring pistons and O-rings and dust seals:
214976842221a1b.jpg.
tapping dust seal into position:
2149768422be4b2.jpg
all done:
21497684233f00e.jpg

Last edited:
Doesn't look like paint. Regular brake fluid would eat the paint so I am guessing it's anodized....I got them from Mike (tracdogg2).

I started on the two front calipers today :drink:

Here are a few photos of the front calipers:

21497d0de9bb8cd.jpg
Stainless sleeve:
21497d0dea6398e.jpg
Primer:
21497d0deb0e289.jpg
and painted:
21497d0deb901e4.jpg
Had to make a tool to install the dust seals, these are 2" diameter and I couldn't find a socket that size...

21497d0decf3a9a.jpg
It's a 2" pipe welded to a washer and a bolt... quick and easy....

21497d0dedd65dd.jpg
21497d0dee41720.jpg
21497d0deeb913f.jpg
I used RTV around the dust seals and some "brake quiet" to glue the pads to the pistons - I think that's all this stuff is good for... I had it sitting on the shelf so why not use it...

This is what the piston springs are good for:

21497d0dec2de53.jpg

done:
21497d0def37adc.jpg

Last edited:
Karsten,
Save your old rear pistons. They work great for keeping the pads spread apart.
Mike

You rebuilt these with O rings, have you installed these and do you notice a difference in brake performance and pedal feel ?
How much is this kit ?

Arthur, the kit is $120 for all four calipers. I got it from Mike (Classic Corvette Parts in Dallas), his username is tracdogg2.

I installed semi metallic pads at the same time I installed the O-ring calipers. My brakes have never been this good and I did the front only - had to swap the front calipers because the AutoZone lip seal calipers started leaking really bad between the two caliper halves .... found the sealing surface had quiet a few imperfections... :smash: