C6 fiberglass bumper - pics

MYBAD79

I started working on this Lingenfelter fiberglass bumper for the C6. I spent about an hour sanding the inside to make it a little smoother, then sprayed two coats black epoxy.
The overall quality is not impressive, there were quiet a few voids, exposed fiberglass mat, dry spots. The epoxy is taking care of most of these imperfections, it's the inside of the bumper that nobody can see anyways...

I hope to get it on the car tomorrow....

214c1c26ce382bf.jpg
214c1c26cd70501.jpg
214c1c26cdd1f9a.jpg

This is an actual Lingenfelter bumper? I'm surprised the quality would be that low. Can't wait to see the finished product.

yup, that's the bumper I got from Ecklers. They did order a new one for me, took to weeks t get the new bumper but at least this one wasn't F'd up all over like the first one these guys at Lingenfelter sent out....

I fitted it today, the fit is acceptable with only minor adjustments. I had to take a file to the lower corners so that it fits at the mating surface to the quarter panels.

I'll post a few photos later....

ok, here's two pics:

214c1d7dea98d05.jpg

214c1d74e1e1017.jpg

214c1d7474909d4.jpg

Talking about quality and fit.... the holes for the taillights were too small :clap::clap::clap:

and the bracket for the backup lights needs some more "adjustments"

:clap::clap:

if this was a $400 bumper I wouldn't bitch.... at that price I expect a little more, I'm amazed they put their logo on this thing ...

Last edited:
whats the difference between that and a stock bumper, I really don't see much different.

The difference between a stock bumper and this one is the integrated spoiler and the lower section is one piece with the bumper, the stock bumper is assembled with like 128 crews and clips....

The difference between this bumper and MY stock bumper is that it doesn't have that shotty Bondo repair ... previous owner must have backed into something, there was some damage at the lower right corner. Deep scratches were filled with Bondo that now 2 years after it was done cracked - I'm surprised it lasted that long, Bondo is no good for urethane repairs....

Either color looks good.

Are there any other trim pieces painted black? I like the way the black gives some definition to the rest of the bumper.

U said the light holes were too small, what you doing there??

:bonkers:

Big flapper wheel.... on the pics you can see the smaller diameter holes, these are the ones I enlarged to make the lights fit. The lights wouldn't go far enough in the recess without re-work.

Overall: POS quality, found more defects today :bomb:

OK, here's where the rain stopped all activity.... started wetsanding and buffing, fitted the reverse lights, taillights and emblem. Bumper is still loose, boltholes seem to almost line up, might not take too much to get it bolted up....

Here's the next bummer: once the sun hit it I found several bubbles :ill::ill::ill:

I punched a small nail into the bubbles and exposed voids.... filled those with body filler and simply touched up with a small brush... after more wetsanding and buffing the repaired spots are not very noticeable... still pisses me off.

I'll grind these repairs out and shoot it again when I fit the widebody panels.....

214c1e77ed30a8c.jpg

Bubbles?? I hear you Karsten, I get tossed off here for too much fucking cussin' if I told you all how I feel about BODY work and effin' PAINT IN THE ASS....

some time I MAY post a pix of me PISSed off.....:bomb:

Bubbles?? I hear you Karsten, I get tossed off here for too much fucking cussin' if I told you all how I feel about BODY work and effin' PAINT IN THE ASS....

I think I speak for the majority of us and say a nice youtube video would be better then pictures

I think I speak for the majority of us and say a nice youtube video would be better then pictures

Too many fragged pixels.....

:bomb:

Paint the lower part black!!! It looks good but man, that's some crappy quality. Almost looks as if it's not rolled/yaid matte but chopper gun stuff with all the pools and thickness variations visible on the inside.

You do great work Karsten and I'm sure your result looks fine. BTW...I was told that Eckler's has been having a place in Titusville make their fiberglass parts. I was told this by someone local and in the business, so I consider it reliable. Maybe this is common knowledge, but new to me. My thought was to contact this mfg facility directly, but was told to forget it.

All the other fiberglass parts I bought from Ecklers were "Eckler's brand" and good quality, this bumper is not made by Ecklers, it's a Lingenfelter part and I have no idea who makes it - obviously someone with less than average skills :tth:

I bought this bumper thru Ecklers to avoid shipping $$$

Back to sanding due to a color mis-match.... while I'm at it I'm going to get the transition from the quarter into the bumper smoother....

214c3528e17d524.jpg

The transition is now smooth, fits really nice after all the necessary re-work. biggest POS in my opinion, worst quality I've seen on a fiberglass part.... now after all this work it's fine but that much re-work shouldn't be necessary

214c374f9e036ba.jpg