Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Engine

Old 09-18-2019, 06:03 PM
United States | Garage Monkey

My Photos: (286)
Default BBC Water Pump By-Pass Hose

I have an Edelbrock 8853 water pump. This is a reverse rotation serpentine drive pump made for 1988 and later BB trucks.

You can see from the picture that only one of the bosses has been drilled and tapped even though there are two bosses there. The boss that is tapped is for the bypass hose. The boss that is not tapped is for a heater hose. This is the way the GM pumps for this application are set up.

Lots of info on the internet about the actual need for the bypass hose. While searching I found a guy that used the bypass circuit as heater hoses. So, you get the heater and the bypass function. This would solve my problem.

See any holes in my theory?

BB BYPASS HOSE
Old 09-19-2019, 02:19 AM
United States | The Artist formerly known as Turbo84

My Photos: (2)

Respectfully, I'm not a big fan of plumbing it as anything other than strictly a bypass passage. I prefer that the coolant can only circulate within the engine during warm-ups, and not allowing additional external water volume to mix in (increasing the time it takes for the coolant to reach operating temperature). Also, I like the idea of the hot water from under the thermostat mixing with the "cold" water from the w/p inlet, reducing the amount of thermal shock or delta T across the engine. If the heater core is used as the bypass function, the function is lost during hot days when the heater flow valve is closed.

Just my thoughts and philosophy. I welcome correction if I am misunderstanding any of the plumbing/flow routing in BB engines.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:25 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (67)

Maybe call edelbrock about drill and tapping the boss.
I bet people do it.

Edit, yes...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

Last edited by rtj; 09-19-2019 at 04:30 PM..
Old 09-19-2019, 05:47 PM

I saw that the other day. The comment is 3 years old and Edelbrock has not done anything about it. I like this part:

I called Edelbrock tech support and they even said that they don't know why it doesn't come with 2 drilled and tapped ports for the 454

I don't want to disassemble this and re-machine this. I dont know how you could do it without disassembling the pump too.

Mike, the valve I am going to use does not block the flow it diverts it into the heater core. So in the summer it would be just a longer bypass hose and in the winter, the flow would be diverted through the heater core.

Old 09-19-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBShark View Post
I saw that the other day. The comment is 3 years old and Edelbrock has not done anything about it. I like this part:

I called Edelbrock tech support and they even said that they don't know why it doesn't come with 2 drilled and tapped ports for the 454

I don't want to disassemble this and re-machine this. I dont know how you could do it without disassembling the pump too.

Mike, the valve I am going to use does not block the flow it diverts it into the heater core. So in the summer it would be just a longer bypass hose and in the winter, the flow would be diverted through the heater core.

That's the part I don't care for. I don't like the scenario where the engine is asked/forced to heat up additional hose water volume and heater-core water volume/mass during the warm up period..
Old 09-20-2019, 12:48 AM
United States | Addict

Yes, disassembly required in my opinion. I see some guys talking about drilling holes in the thermostat and running one loop to the heater. But, engine is $$$.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:02 AM

Now you have me thinking, a dangerous thing. How much water is in the cooling system?
Old 09-20-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBShark View Post
Now you have me thinking, a dangerous thing. How much water is in the cooling system?
I seem to remember a quantity of 22 quarts in BB systems.

I invite correction if my memory is in error.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:30 AM
United States | Addict

Guys with electric water pumps have a similar problem. They take water off the manifold and dump into the return. I didnít read it all but there are some ideas and pics at the link.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtj View Post

Guys with electric water pumps have a similar problem. They take water off the manifold and dump into the return. I didnít read it all but there are some ideas and pics at the link.
There is an idea to plumb the heater hose into a "T" in the lower radiator hose and retain the little bypass hose. I could use the port on the manifold (pictured below on the left of the T stat) for the other hose. I have to make a connector pipe on the lower hose anyway (stock hose won't fit).

This is probably not optimal but cold weather driving is not really a concern.