C3 Headlight Modification

frank_nesta17

I saw this headlight modification in the latest edition of Vette magazine, March 2012. They accredit John Drahos of Corvette Conspiracy for the work on this Corvette and Ed Roethel for the headlights. Since I am in the process of restro-rodding my 1977 Corvette and I always liked the look of Eckler's pop up square headlights from years ago. I contacted John Drahos of Corvette Conspiracy to see if they are willing to sell that upgrade as a kit and the cost? I am not sure that I would be interested in the electrical powered versions since I have just rebuilt the vacuum setup. But, if that is the only way they would sell it I would still be interested.

This is what John wrote back

Frank
That was a one-off conversion that we did on that '69. Our reason was total air flow through the grill when the lights are down and a smoother more streamlined look with the lights in the up position. We also needed the room for the inner cooler.......if we get enough interest in this conversion we may put together some type of kit.......

Thanks John

Check out http://www.corvetteconspiracy.com/gallery_c3.html Click on the blue '69 on the right,click on that car and bring up a slide show of the build.......... Look at the 8th slidefor a good look at the headlight.

If any of you are interested in this look I would appreciate you dropping John Drahos a e-mail [email protected] or call him 216-641-2786.

Frank

This is *exactly* my vision of the perfect headlight setup.
Will drop a email for sure.

Frank, if you look at my sites below you can see the way I modded the openings and used the Ecklers sugar scoops with the same lights as in the blue vette, and yes I understand the vac setup can be altered to open just that far, my lights were wiped out by hitting a Florida deer, about the size of a German Shepard, they grow small here....and so it broke hell outta them, now what I would have done is similar to the blue car, and I tried by changing pivot points on the doors, but no go, too much messing around....so the fix for years was stock Ecklers, then when repainting the car, I thought the openings were just way to large, stupid looking....so I cut them by 50%.....the openings in back of the scoops are wide open to aid airflow, I would guess about as airflow neutral as can be :friends:

I don't see an advantage other than the look - if you like it that is. WIth my Cibies I have great optics and can switch wattages of bulbs if I like.

thum_534ef547387b698.jpg

I don't see an advantage other than the look - if you like it that is. WIth my Cibies I have great optics and can switch wattages of bulbs if I like.

thum_534ef547387b698.jpg

No offense, but I think that stock look with the old style round bulbs looks geeky as hell, with all the more modern lighting available today, using that on a updated shark is, well, an oversight.....:friends::censored:

yeah, the lamps on modern cars look soo good LOL, most of them look like crap with oversized units. I like the stock look or L88 buckets/covers.

yeah, the lamps on modern cars look soo good LOL, most of them look like crap with oversized units. I like the stock look or L88 buckets/covers.

Oh, I agree on the silly use of acres of plastic for these little new bulbs, but wonder if it's a heat buildup gig they need the acreage for cooling....

I don't care for the look either....but like those camaro bulbs are sort of a compromise, and what with the bulbs themselves being glued in that square glass housing, and easily replaced, connector match up and all, I wonder if a newer halogen bulb can be used, but I don't drive much at night and so don't feel the need to bother....too boot all the roads I would drive on are in town/city here and VERY well lit up, don't even NEED headlights, just dash lights.....:lol:

I really don't get the advantage of making the change unless its just for looks. If that, then to each their own.

I would like to see someone put in round projector lamps with a small raise like the blue vette. The square seems outdated would be nice to make the lights work better if your going to spend the money on a trick conversion. Also lights look like something off the shelf at a auto parts store. IMO.

I would like to see someone put in round projector lamps with a small raise like the blue vette. The square seems outdated would be nice to make the lights work better if your going to spend the money on a trick conversion. Also lights look like something off the shelf at a auto parts store. IMO.

Better HOPE they not so far out there you can't find them anywhere.....:crutches: wooden be the first time that's happened.....:rofl:

I'm a little surprised to see headlights are considered a styling statement by so many here of all places. Stock C2 through C5 Vettes have the headlights hidden except when they're on at night when nobody can see them. So I would think we would only be talking about more technical things such as beam pattern, isocandela diagrams, luminous flux, maximum intensity location, etc. :confused2:

I actually like it, the headlights don't open as far as the stock setup and there is additional airflow to the radiator... now, do these lights work ??? I guess that's another question.... :crutches:

I actually like it, the headlights don't open as far as the stock setup and there is additional airflow to the radiator... now, do these lights work ??? I guess that's another question.... :crutches:

9005/9006 Lamps were installed. They should do the job?

They should work, as crappy as the stock setup is I bet these lights are ok. Now, how tall and wide are these lights from a 1993 Camaro? Wonder if two of those would fit, they definitely provide enough light...

They should work, as crappy as the stock setup is I bet these lights are ok. Now, how tall and wide are these lights from a 1993 Camaro? Wonder if two of those would fit, they definitely provide enough light...

I think they are 93-97 headlights. I just like the look!!! They have to work as good if not better that the C3 originals. If I get the time I will check out some Camaro lights to see if they will fit. I have not hear from John @ Corvette Conspiracy yet.

Those 93-97 lights are (unlike some aftermarket junk) designed for a car and DOT approved and so on, if they fit it would be a nice upgrade. Now, how do you limit how far the door opens?

Those 93-97 lights are (unlike some aftermarket junk) designed for a car and DOT approved and so on, if they fit it would be a nice upgrade. Now, how do you limit how far the door opens?[/QUOTE

I just rebuilt my vacuum headlight setup and there was some adjustment. But, I think that you would have to shorten the vacuum actuator rod and maybe the clevis to accomplish a shorter rise in the headlight door. The car in Vette magizine used the new electrical actuators that are currently on the market. I had thought about using them for my car, but decided to stick with the vacuum setup and new seals and hoses. They worked good before.

Now, how tall and wide are these lights from a 1993 Camaro? Wonder if two of those would fit, they definitely provide enough light...

Doesn't Gene (mrvette) have those? Thosugh he posted that a while back..
Hey Gene ! What's the story?

Jim

Now, how tall and wide are these lights from a 1993 Camaro? Wonder if two of those would fit, they definitely provide enough light...

Doesn't Gene (mrvette) have those? Thosugh he posted that a while back..
Hey Gene ! What's the story?

Jim

Not all much of a story, I lost the OEM lights by hitting a damn deer in '98 just south of me on a date, gal I was with all upset over that friggin' deer and no comment about the totalled lights, eff HER!!!!

so never really liking the damn things anyway, I was not going to go back OEM, I put in Eckler's sugar scoops which stayed for some years, then I tired of the super large openings and tall, dated bulbs, and went to strip a couple of camaros at a junkyard, pulled the adjustable mounts off two camaros, and 4 bulbs/mounting metal/springs, made my own mounts parallel and forward to the ecklers position, reduced the opening in the car by 50%, painted the scoops black when first installed, and since the bulbs are not stuck out really visible from the top, the lack of trim molding around the bulbs is not too evident....

see sites for pix, the shutterfly is easiest....

:crutches::friends:

The blue vette in the link above has the camaro bulbs, they will fit/function just fine....and are easy to change the BULB as it's glued into the back of the heavy glass give it a twist and a ten buck bulb later you ready to reinstall by morning....RTV sets up overnight...;-)))

Last edited: