84 cfi timing..

c4lover

Ive been trying to get this thing running the last 2 months...very appreciative for help in advance..
Ive gotten the engine to tdc using a pencil through number 1 spark plug hole. Then I line up rotor to the '1' spot on rotor cap, then plug in batt, tach, and other 2 connectors. Then install plug wires 18436572 clockwise starting at 1 and 8 on front side of distributor...
Then tighten down distributor bolt just fit enough to be able to move it while timing.
Aaaaand then starting it either includes flames up through throttle body or uncontrollable popping noises.
And doing some more research...I guess there is a wire im suppose to disconnect before i time it? Est wire? There are a million different answers to when looking for est wire on cfi engine.
Anyone have advice on the timing or have knowledge on the est Wire?

I know the est wire is tan with black stripe and has a single connection/plug that is about 2" long, black color this is for an L98 engine, I can't imagine them changing basic color codes, so I suspect you are looking for something similar.....:thumbs:

Well, see here at school, we use 'On-demand' technical sites that include directions/locations/instructions on any car out there, and for the 84 corvette, it tells me its in the 4 wire connector that is connected to the distributor... Well I tried that, and if that is disconnected, fuel doesn't even come out the TB's, but EVERYWHERE else I look it says the etc wire is exactly how you explained it, just to the right of the distributor (brown wire black stripe) which I have located. so ill try that tonight but thinking about the schools "always right" website is actually wrong confuses me!

and another question, if not disconnecting est, and proceeding to time it, will set timing off completely? like I have explained my bad luck above ^ ?

Well, see here at school, we use 'On-demand' technical sites that include directions/locations/instructions on any car out there, and for the 84 corvette, it tells me its in the 4 wire connector that is connected to the distributor... Well I tried that, and if that is disconnected, fuel doesn't even come out the TB's, but EVERYWHERE else I look it says the etc wire is exactly how you explained it, just to the right of the distributor (brown wire black stripe) which I have located. so ill try that tonight but thinking about the schools "always right" website is actually wrong confuses me!

and another question, if not disconnecting est, and proceeding to time it, will set timing off completely? like I have explained my bad luck above ^ ?

OH HELL YES, that timing be so far off, it's pathetic....you running in retarded mode......at idle, AS I RECALL, that computer will add some 30* to the idle, and if you have that tan/bk wire connected, you will be running some 30* to the retard, and you be screwed......

:thumbs:

Now you really need to stop the engine, and replug the tan/bk wire and so to clear codes on the 'puter'.....or maybe they clean themselves out over time.....I have a scanner to clear codes on my L98 wired vette so I forget if they will clean out over time or not.....old tech head here.....I forget to remember some shit......:lol:

Alrighty then, thank you for the advice, my vette is running, just a tad rough without the est wire at the moment, and if I plug it back in will it set it off? My instructor says once I turn the car off, then plug it in, itll start right back up with a smoother idle.
or will I have to retime it once the est wire is back in place?

Alrighty then, thank you for the advice, my vette is running, just a tad rough without the est wire at the moment, and if I plug it back in will it set it off? My instructor says once I turn the car off, then plug it in, itll start right back up with a smoother idle.
or will I have to retime it once the est wire is back in place?

I would disconnect the battery for a few minits, and then reconnect and start the car, it should clear any codes that I aware of, and you be fine....hopefully....

:bump:

Ok, I got it warmed up at 190 degrees+ and its idling rough at 900 rpms, so do i turn it off, disconnect Battery For a while, then connect it.back again, then connect est wire, then.turn engine over? Im just confused on where the engine should be idling at before i plug est wire back in. Shouldnt it be advanced or retarded at a certain poiint? Ive heard the est wire throws it off 12 degrees after the est wire is back in; which would explain my troubles getting.it to run after i connect est. :/