'79 choke wire

clutchdust

Millionaire Playboy
Hey guys, trying to figure out what wire is supposed to go to the choke on a '79. I have no idea what color the hot wire to the choke is supposed to be or where in the harness it comes from. This is a car we're new to and it has been "bubba'd" to death. The wire that was connected to the choke came off the high pressure switch in the AC line (wtf?). Anyway, a color and source would be helpful.
TIA.

I have a 79 schematic but I can't locate a choke. It shows a PNK & WHT wire which I think go to the dist.

Thanks guys. I opened the file Marck linked to but I swear I can't find anything on it going to the choke. Isn't it just 12v any time the ignition is on? Maybe I can just tap off the 12v supply to the distributor. Thoughts?

Ahh, well that would explain why I can't find a wire on the schematic. I can't believe GM was still using mechanical chokes that late. A little bit amazing to think about that in five years they went from a mechanical choke carburetor to TPI. Talk about a quantum leap.

Now that you mention it, the 79 trans am has a hot air choke too, 80 got the electric choke.....

When I installed my Edelbrock intake manifold and carb, on my 77, I picked up an ingnition hot from the blower resister.

Check out the 81 vette wiring diagram, in the download section ... you don't want to wire the choke to ignition hot .... if the car stalls unattended, it will still let the choke heat = hard restart cuz choke will be off .. the control pin of the relay is wired to the brown wire on the 2 wire connector on the alternator ... that way if the engine stalls the relay cuts power to the choke.