the home renovations begins.....

bobs77vet

well you guys know i relocated....so we now have plans and the construction or demolition of the old house begins.....hopefully i will have enough money left to have the two car garage built at the same time.....we are in side the beltway that surrounds washington dc and it is very expensive...the garage will go in the back right corner as you are looking at the back of the house

houseremodelphotos156.jpg

houseremodelphotos155.jpg

houseremodelphotos095.jpg

houseremodelphotos103.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you have your work cut out for you. I did the same thing when I bought my first home 20 years ago, so I know that you will really appreciate your efforts when your done!

Where are you located?? I spent 53 years in that area, Rockville/Bethesda/Potomac/Chevy Chase (predates the commendian by many a decade).....left there 11 years ago....spent the last 10 years up there renovating houses.....

Can't spot the area from the arky tech ture.....think it's NOVA....
being INside the beltway....

show more pix....kinda interested in what you are doing, and so from old friends I know the old hoods are beeing torn up house by house.....leaving sometimes only ONE old wall, and building entirely new McMansions on 1/4 acre lots, complete with indoor parking.....

years ago the old Pearson farm, overlooking the Potomac River in Potomac Md, was subdivided and sold off.....Brazillionaire homes built....worked on a couple of them....not as the GC, but did some significant sections....

so the curiosity of the old area remains....

thanks...:shocking::shocking::beer:

Arlington Va...........we sold the house at the Jersey shore and bought this one specifically to renovate and then live in, it has an 8000 sq foot lot which is big for Arlington and has a foot print of 1000 ft, we will add a 500 sf ft addition to the foor print and go up one more level. it will have a 29' x 8' front porch and where you see the construction dumpster will be where the new addition will go. since the garage will be small about 24x22 i will make the basement level portion of the new addition into a wood shop, that way the garage will be only for auto related stuff.....we are living in a rental house while we do it.

NICE project there, you going to try matching the brick in front?? or just give it up and go for contrast??

reason I ask is that trying to match brick is even harder than matching paint....mucho more shopping, especially with the weathering and all...much less the mortar....that stops about 99% of the masons right there....

close and exact being well....

:evil::banghead::banghead::banghead:

We will wrap any remaining first floor brick with hardy siding, that way we dont have to match any brick or worry about window placement, the basement brick will remain. and we think the first and second floor will have the same siding we are thinking it will be a shingle style siding,,....the second alternative is to have hardy siding clap board first floor and shingle second floor..... the first floor will have the mstr bedroom on it for these old bones......

Last edited:
and the 77 had to go to college with my son during the move......so it took me several weekends to make it shine again after living under a cover outside for 4 months....

houseremodelphotos031.jpg

Last edited:
Well Bob, that look's like one big PITA. LOL. I hope you fair well. They always tend to run over budget, and finish late.:banghead: I hope the best.

i keep saying just add money and it will turn out allright, the only problem is the garage will be the last thing buile so......i hope it stays on budget, or i will just do myself......as for being a pain in the ass.....oh yeah 1/2 of stuff is still in storage and every thing else is in boxes. i didn't try and economize on the rental house so we are at least living in relative comfort. i will be really happy when the framing is finished and the house is weather tight

i keep saying just add money and it will turn out allright, the only problem is the garage will be the last thing buile so......i hope it stays on budget, or i will just do myself......as for being a pain in the ass.....oh yeah 1/2 of stuff is still in storage and every thing else is in boxes. i didn't try and economize on the rental house so we are at least living in relative comfort. i will be really happy when the framing is finished and the house is weather tight

I hear you, my sis is all stressed out trying to do the same thing....1/2 her shit in boxes/storage, and selling for a trans - con move....

super PIA....for sure...

:amazed: I did it 11 years ago moving south, here....

never again....

:clobbered::cussing:

Hey Bob - good to see you over here :yahoo:

The house looks nice, with the addition and of course the garage it's going to be a really nice home

demo is almost finished

well the demo is almost done.....the new stuff will start soon.....

IMG_0050.jpg

houseremodelphotos278.jpg

houseremodelphotos305.jpg

houseremodelphotos204.jpg

houseremodelphotos308.jpg

houseremodelphotos311.jpg
IMG_0049.jpg

Last edited:
Holy cow, it's a convertible .... :D

looking good but seriously: this can't be a whole lot less expensive and/or less work to build a new house ?? You re-doing the plumbing and wiring as well ??

Arlington is inside of the beltway of washington and it is very expensive. new home construction is very heavily regulated by permitting obstructions and the civil engineering for soil run off and chesapeake bay drainage restrictions add several more months to the building pernit approval process and an extra 30- 40 k on the project.....so if you can handle the stress of this it is the fastest way to go....

Arlington is inside of the beltway of washington and it is very expensive. new home construction is very heavily regulated by permitting obstructions and the civil engineering for soil run off and chesapeake bay drainage restrictions add several more months to the building pernit approval process and an extra 30- 40 k on the project.....so if you can handle the stress of this it is the fastest way to go....

Tell me about it, down the street from a friend in Chevy chase they tore all but ONE WALL of the old brick colonial down, and rebuilt it into a MANSION worth about a megga biggie or better, for the location, and it was done under 'renovation'....not new construction....go figger, and that ain't the only one dodging the issues that way....across from the ex is a house doing the same thing, and around the corner also....one was done some years ago....

happening all around Montgomery county inside/near the beltway....

:D:flash:

my permitting fees were about $5500 for the building permit and the mechanical, plumbing and electrical will all be additional fees.....

houseremodelphotos320.jpg

houseremodelphotos324.jpg

houseremodelphotos323.jpg

houseremodelphotos318.jpg

houseremodelphotos322.jpg

Nice Spruce, hard to tplant one that size.....it's planted by original owner back in the 60's or so....

my father planted similar ones on his property back then....

not much left..... it'll be a nice home when it's done.... now is the right time for you to go on a cruise...... :D