Borgeson box or Grand AM rack

voodoovette

I am looking for all of your opinions of which would be the best way to go for track and some street. Please let me know what your preference would be, option 1 or 2. I am not concerned about race rules, it is just club racing for fun.

1) Borgeson 12/1 ratio power box, billet and roller bearing idler arm, custom center link.

2) Grand Am power rack

Thank you in advance for your feedback. :D

The biggest difference between the two is probably weight. The Jeep box is a cast iron chunk!

I'm in the middle of my rack install, shouldn't be too much longer and it's back on the road. The stock steering box isn't lightweight either ....

I'm in the middle of my rack install, shouldn't be too much longer and it's back on the road. The stock steering box isn't lightweight either ....

then you add the linkage, the idler arm, the p/s ram, the driver side iron support, .....I dunno for a FACT, because I never thought weigh the rack install versus the long gone stock shit.....

but I suspect the rack is about 30% of the weight,

ASSuming you don't do some overdone rack supports/engineering....

:waxer:

Borgeson VS Grand Am rack

Weight is a good point, but with the weight of the new brackets required for the rack, is the there that much difference in weight?
Also with the Borgeson box, no external ram is required and therefore eliminates all the extra BS that was on the stock system.
Is the Grand AM rack the best center take off rack to use, or is there another option with a quicker ratio out there?

If you can share bracket dimensions and pics or drawings, I would very much appreciate it. Thank you

Will do once it's "final" .... Problem is that there's still some "fitting" to be done, even if I use my frame as a jig....

For updates see my thread "homemade rack install etc"

Have installed a couple of Borgeson's kits. Both pieced together with junk yard parts and some purchased. Not to hard a swap and it drive is very responsive with no leaks.

Have installed a couple of Borgeson's kits. Both pieced together with junk yard parts and some purchased. Not to hard a swap and it drive is very responsive with no leaks.

I am in the process of installing a Borgeson box in my 80 corvette and looking at A probable heat problem. The box fits OK but there is only about 1/4 inch space between my headers and the box. I believe that is going to cause the fluid to boil, I am thinking I will have to add a small oil cooler in front to keep it a little cooler.

Anyone else have this problem?

Here is the space between box and headers. Still concerned with heating the fluid.
445274ce9c6d2cb.jpg

445274ce9ce484b.jpg

Last edited: