Well Dam, Part II

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
So I am checking the frame while I have to re install the upper a arm bushing. A few may remember I had some frame cracks last year near the spring pockets. Well, this time, the stationary bracket that the steering ram anchors to is almost cracked clean off. Barely hanging.
So, were the later frames thinner? Anyone else claim this damage? Just curious.

That has not happened yet. I've never had a control arm bushing slide out either.

I just thought i'd take this opportunity to bust you balls a bit. Here i am with my POS 75 everyone thinks is surely going to discentigrate any day and kill me in a firey crash, but i just keep motoring.

All you anal dudes that have everything in tip top shape seem to be much closer to death.

If that had snapped off during one of your bird runs....

I guess neither is a catastrophic failure but could send you into a rock wall or ditch depending on how good a driver you are.

Last edited:
I have heard many times over that the later frames are thinner than earlier...unsure of what was the changeover.....I can take a C clamp mic to my frame here, lemme do that now, in fact....hold on....

Looks like 80 mills, best I can tell....so .080 this is measured on the outside of the shock tower bulge,..with that slight curve in there I would doubt much error factor, frame felt clean inside, and was clean outside the 1/4" round clamp pad patch hardly pick up much of the large dia. curve...

:gurney:

it was a oval hole I used, so clamp went in/out easy, and I could feel the inside surface....

That has not happened yet. I've never had a control arm bushing slide out either.

I just thought i'd take this opportunity to bust you balls a bit. Here i am with my POS 75 everyone thinks is surely going to discentigrate any day and kill me in a firey crash, but i just keep motoring.

All you anal dudes that have everything in tip top shape seem to be much closer to death.

I guess neither is a catastrophic failure but could send you into a rock wall or ditch depending on how good a driver you are.

never had the steering ram come off before, but I had a small block vette that had the drivers upper a-arm bolt come out(front bolt).....while driving. I was turning and wasn't going that fast when it happened...the wheel tilted in a strange way. The arm jammed itself in there.

Had it happened while I was driving at any speed, the car would most likely had veered to the left based on the way the wheel tilted......mostly 2 lane roads here. that would have meant going into the oncoming lane......

I cannot argue any of your points. However, I have been contacted by at least one individual that had the bracket/frame area crack like mine. (79)
I have the largest front sway bar VB And P makes, and a front spreader bar. I can't help but think it's just too much for that later stock frame.

I'll have a plate welded under that bracket, and check again in a year.

never had the steering ram come off before, but I had a small block vette that had the drivers upper a-arm bolt come out(front bolt).....while driving. I was turning and wasn't going that fast when it happened...the wheel tilted in a strange way. The arm jammed itself in there.

Had it happened while I was driving at any speed, the car would most likely had veered to the left based on the way the wheel tilted......mostly 2 lane roads here. that would have meant going into the oncoming lane......

funny you say this, I had the exact same thing happen to me in my Buick (turning into my driveway)

Don't remember the year, think it was 80, but yes, the later frames are thinner. Now I need to go check mine. :censored:

Please do, interested in the year, and thickness, but need check the same spot because of stamping and metal stretch, hopefully using the same tool type I used...we can get definitive over this....

:hissyfit: