A Master Metal Worker

BangkokDean

Watch A Master Metal Worker Literally Hand Form A Rear Quarter Panel From A Flat Piece of Steel
Apr 20, 2014Brian LohnesMISC, TECH, Videos39

There's bad ass and then there is BAD ASS. Australian Peter Tommasini is a master level metal
worker and gearhead who runs a restoration shop down under and his skills are in full display
during this video where he turns a piece of sheet metal into the rear quarter panel of a rare
version of the Holden Monaro. What's funny is that to mortal men like us, simply hanging a
damned quarter panel is a job that brings on the flop sweats. Tommasini literally makes one
from scratch and hangs it on the car like it was just shot out of a stamping machine.
Metal work is an art form that has seen a bit of a resurgence over the last few years. Guys
like Jesse James and others became famous for hammering, wheeling, annealing, and forming
metal into gas tanks for bikes, panels for hot rods, and other applications.
That has inspired a lot of younger guys to either apprentice under the masters,
go to one of the various tech schools that now offer classes for this type of
stuff, or simply pay attention to the old guys they know in the shop to learn what they can.
We're just amazed at watching him in the first couple stages of this work, being able
to conceptualize the curves and contours of the steel before the process begins.
He takes great care with the first few hammer strokes for good reason.
Mistakes made that early on would throw the whole project into the scrap heap.
After watching Peter Tommasini at work, we're not worthy to look at a car, let along wrench
on one! This is beyond impressive!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM[/ame]

Interesting .

There a guy down the road from me who does this .Hand forming hard to get parts for older cars . He does chassis set ups , repairs ,mods , rust cut outs (done properly )still uses lead to finish off. He used to work for Rolls Royce as a coach builder .a master of his trade for sure . He told my mate he would build him an all alloy stingray for 80k a few years back now. He ended up just getting some exhaust covers and a wicked hand made dash .

That Monaro is our classic local made muscle car from back in the days when Holden were putting your 350 and 327 motors in our cars . Good original/restored ones now sell for around 80k or so now.

Thanks for posting that film

Last edited:
edscarwheels003_zps0766184b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Not the best pic, theres skulls and demons and stuff in the darker area but you can see those covers

Really amazing work... But, were my eyes playing tricks on me? It looked like he started off making the right side quarter but the final product was the left quarter.

I saw the same thing...but he is down under..love to spend a few months working with him, puts my dolly, brake and shrinker stretcher work to shame

Really amazing work... But, were my eyes playing tricks on me? It looked like he started off making the right side quarter but the final product was the left quarter.
It looked like the right rear was completely rusted out so he took measurements of the left rear to make the right rear first then replaced the left side next.

My neighbor is a master metal worker. He traveled to Israel to work with one of the great metal master over there. Makes lots of custom stuff, and I've had him make me a few minor custom parts for the vette. Down the road he is going to fabricate a roll bar specific to my needs and I'm sure I'll use his services when I get around to a frame off.