CF vs Steel : a test

The strength is impressive, however it does not have the "flexibility" that steel has. Carbon Fiber is also sensitive to heat and vibrations.
For a race car like Formula One it's great stuff but I wouldn't have the warm and fuzzy feeling using this for suspension parts or a driveshaft on a street car.

I would be really curious to see the same test performed after this driveshaft was on a car for 20k miles subjected to vibration, shock loading, heat from the exhaust (and exhaust leaks), freezing cold temperatures and chemicals like salt.... I wonder how that would affect strength.

I also wonder how temperature affects the material strength, looks like the performed this test at normal temperature like 70F - would the strength be lower at f.e. -10F ??

Funny: I had the same concerns about fiberglass leaf springs, now that I have one I really like it .... Still scares me that it could break....

The strength is impressive, however it does not have the "flexibility" that steel has. Carbon Fiber is also sensitive to heat and vibrations.
For a race car like Formula One it's great stuff but I wouldn't have the warm and fuzzy feeling using this for suspension parts or a driveshaft on a street car.

I would be really curious to see the same test performed after this driveshaft was on a car for 20k miles subjected to vibration, shock loading, heat from the exhaust (and exhaust leaks), freezing cold temperatures and chemicals like salt.... I wonder how that would affect strength.

I also wonder how temperature affects the material strength, looks like the performed this test at normal temperature like 70F - would the strength be lower at f.e. -10F ??

Funny: I had the same concerns about fiberglass leaf springs, now that I have one I really like it .... Still scares me that it could break....

EH, just drive home with your ass hung LO.....:hissyfit::crap: