Chicago press brake

SuperBuickGuy

a few months ago, I went to Canada and rescued this from our 51st State.

P9010001_zps7da0869d.jpg

P9010003_zps0e07a12f.jpg

thank heavens for the 12k winch on the front of my pickup

P9010004_zps4f70eaca.jpg

P9010005_zpsa3e9105d.jpg

when I moved it into the shop, I'd removed the press-plates from the machine. Originally this machine was designed as a stamping press and had a special die that punched out the holes for metal door frames in one cycle

P9010006_zps8a689921.jpg

I need a machine that bends metal, so I removed them (and will probably repurpose the plates because they're 1" tool steel)

roll forward a few months, and, while looking at a jump shear I found these at the same place

the top die fits by simply loosening the bolts; unfornately, the bottom die was going to require my paying a machine shop to make these.... I got these for 50% off ($200).

So you see a top die in place, and now I have to work to put the bottom die in place

which requires removal of bolts that were pretty much rust-welded in place

technique is easy - weld nuts to the heads, let cool for 30s, then twist off and try not to burn yourself

so I can remove this

it was a 3 phase machine, I don't have 3 phase power, so (because the reversing switch was junk) I replaced the motor with a 220v 5hp motor.

with the bottom die holders setting in place. I still need to recraft the bottom centering die

Hope you going to make money with that machine, whole lot of work for just a hobby shop......

;):hissyfit:

at this point, I could haul it for scrap and make money on it.... I'll have less than 1k in when it's done.

YEH, long as your Nobama care covers your late lamented broken ass......

:hissyfit::censored::nuts:

ummm, huh? :confused:

Oh, come on man, don't tell me you didn't break some ass getting that thing into your place.....if you did it yourself....and if you got it done it cost you $$$ so either way you got a lot of work in it....

:clobbered:

at this point, I could haul it for scrap and make money on it.... I'll have less than 1k in when it's done.

Oh, come on man, don't tell me you didn't break some ass getting that thing into your place.....if you did it yourself....and if you got it done it cost you $$$ so either way you got a lot of work in it....

it was really easy, actually. dug a hole at the entrance to my shop with my bobcat, push the trailer up against the "loading dock" then fixed it in place with my bobcat. Drove the other side of the shop with my truck, blocked the wheels and ran my winch cable through the shop (12k wireless-remote winch). parked my H3 behind the bobcat with its winch cable to the top of the brake and pulled the brake into the shop (using the H3 cable to steady it and not let it fall over - overkill, I know, but it was only worrying to my wife) once it was in the shop, I pushed it near where it needed to go with the bobcat and used a come-along to pull it where it is now... which is too close the wall. No worries, though, I'll just winch it out from the wall.

As to the wiring, I wired my entire shop - so that was pretty easy
The motor - I used to build restaurants - and installing fan motors was a part of that job.

As for the rebuilding of the brake... again, I used to do construction and welding - so it was all pretty easy.

Some say education is expensive, I say ignorance would have cost me thousands.

it was really easy, actually. dug a hole at the entrance to my shop with my bobcat, push the trailer up against the "loading dock" then fixed it in place with my bobcat. Drove the other side of the shop with my truck, blocked the wheels and ran my winch cable through the shop (12k wireless-remote winch). parked my H3 behind the bobcat with its winch cable to the top of the brake and pulled the brake into the shop (using the H3 cable to steady it and not let it fall over - overkill, I know, but it was only worrying to my wife) once it was in the shop, I pushed it near where it needed to go with the bobcat and used a come-along to pull it where it is now... which is too close the wall. No worries, though, I'll just winch it out from the wall.

The motor - I used to build restaurants - and installing fan motors was a part of that job.

As for the rebuilding of the brake... again, I used to do construction and welding - so it was all pretty easy.

I assume you checked for sinkholes under the slab, then????:surrender::club::)

I assume you checked for sinkholes under the slab, then????:surrender::club::)

why? I built the shop :)

anyway, I used it tonight

I have great delusions that I'll scrape and paint this.... ummm... no, my next trick with this thing is to get the beds secure, then put a motor on the ram adjustment so I don't have to crank by hand.