Lemans headlight bucket fab

73c34me

Greetings, i am going to try fabbing a pair of aluminum sheet buckets utilizing he forum provided templet. My question is; how much additional material should be accounted for when performing the 90 degree bends? Assuming approx. 0.60" material thickness? High school shop class was 35years ago, last time i used a brake.... Thnx. Jim

What is the bend radius? If small enough, I think you could could use it as is.

I used the very cad file available for download to punch the pattern and fold in a sheet metal brake... no need to compensate, the design prog. already did that when drawing it up

the rule, on bending metal, is your part will grow by whatever the thickness of the metal is for every 90* bend

e.g. 16 ga material is 1/16" thick, two bends - the part will grow by 1/8"

the rule, on bending metal, is your part will grow by whatever the thickness of the metal is for every 90* bend

Is that the same on stainless and aluminium?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

This really depends on the bend radius and material thickness. There are lots of "bend allowance" calculators online.

Thanks for all the assistance guys. I am trying to get some local quotes for cutting it out. But, i may end up doing it at home with basic tools.

This really depends on the bend radius and material thickness. There are lots of "bend allowance" calculators online.

yes, it's the same - what it does depend on is the die in the brake. Dies come in different radii dimensions.

Thought I would update. I am not having much luck at getting a quote for waterjet cutting these. So I may go to a print shop & see if they can print the drawing on a 1:1 scale. If so I would trace the templet on my aluminum sheet & use a jigsaw to cut out.

Thought I would update. I am not having much luck at getting a quote for waterjet cutting these. So I may go to a print shop & see if they can print the drawing on a 1:1 scale. If so I would trace the templet on my aluminum sheet & use a jigsaw to cut out.

That's what my welder buddy and I did...sketch out on his garage floor, and I went to a metal shop, they cut the pattern, took it back to welder, and he TIG it up.....same as the grill on my '72...one big chunk of fabbed up aluminum.....for a Island Kitchen range hood.....total with fan and such....400 bux that included some decorations for it too....

:lol: