Gas tank modification

GoVetteGo

Problem - C6 rear clip fits very well on the back of my 78 BUT I want to put a spoiler on the back with sequential LEDs. I can't put a spoiler on of any width and still put gas in the car!!

I was thinking of modifying the 78 gas tank so that it is a driver side fill. There is enough room behind the wheel well. Easy to modify the fiberglass to accept a door but - modifying the gas tank isn't something I have experience with. I would leave the float in place.

One more piece - will not be putting the tire tub back it - will have center exiting exhaust.

So, any thoughts or ideas on how to change the gas filler tube location?

Thanks in advance!

John

Last edited:
maybe Bob (Bobs77vette) still has a few pics of his flip front 69 that had a modified gas filler :D

why won't it work in the stock location? I have a spoiler on mine and I can get to the gas filler....

The FIA spoiler I want to mimic is 10" deep. With the current filler opening starting 4.5" from the center rear of the C6 clip, access to the filler lid would be next to impossible.

What kind of spoiler are you using?

I thought you were talking about a small spoiler like the ZR1 style ....

if you relocate the tank filler you won't have much slope - let's say you run tubing or a hose from the top of the tank over to the side this section would be almost horizontal and it'll make a mess at the gas station.

you probably have to lower the tank - at this point I'd probably get a 15 gal fuel cell, mount it low and run the inlet tube over to the side, or just mount the spoiler higher so that the gas nozzle fits under it.... :1st:

My only comment on this topic is.....watch out about filling, as the motor home tanks are a straight drop from the filler necks, but they are very long and only maybe 2" diameter.....I would THINK the thing would fill easy...but NO, the damn shit bubbles up and will barely fill at the lowest rate, the vents are good.....I take a black plastic hose that fits snug over the gas hose nozzle, and push it down the neck pretty far, and so it seems to defeat the shut down mode of the pump.....and I fill it up to overflowing, when I hear it gurgling in the pipe....
funny as the stock GM tank and the coach builder tank do the same thing, with same solution....:tomato::cussing:

Nice job SBG!

Not going to build my own stainless gas tank but it did give me a couple ideas on dropping the original tank 3 or 4 inches. I will have to pull the C6 clip off and experiment with different locations.

Are we having fun yet?

you can drop the tank, just get a filler from another car and extend the fill neck up to the deck lid using rubber, gas tank filler hose. The tank is even the right size to drop down between the rails. Had I not been doing the EFI conversion at the same time - I'd not have built a tank, but I would always drop it. At absolute worst, I'd get a narrow donut tire from a S-10 and set it behind the seats in the cargo area

OK - I just had an idea in lieu of messing with the gas tank of filler neck.

How about an electronic release of some form that would allow the spoiler to "open" to gain access to the filler cap??? Spoiler would have hidden hinges on the upper part on the mount near the window. Hit the release and the spoiler would release - kind of like a hood release of a gas door release. Rotate forward and fill the tank. Push the spoiler down until it catches - DONE!!!

Now to find the hardware that would satisfy my requirements. I have a Fiero spoiler to play with.

WHADDAYATHINK Modders???