Do I need to upgrade my alternator?

OH NO!!, what is hitting?? the top of the adjustment tab??

how much differance in diameter is it?? should be only about a inch or so, maybe 1.5 inches....fits in my car fine....and to boot I have serp drive, and my '72 came with a 10-12SI originally, plenty of room for a 17SI still there....

I feel sick now...

you have a picture of your install, I maybe have the old brackets to my car yet....I would have to look....

you can have the brackets far as I"m concerned....

been some 15 years now, though, so I have to look at what in hell they even look like, but got a cabinet full of that old stuff....

I"m calling a vette source here in town over this....lemme get back to you meanwhile get a pix if your can please.....

:shocking::gurney::hunter::ill:

Don't sweat it gene. I already pulled it out so I do not damage my hood. The lower bracket is the factory big block bracket…it mounts to the block. It hits right on the upper mounting tab…I put a piece of gum balled up on top of the tab and it flattens out completely ¼" before the hood (factory bb) closes. The distance top tab to bottom is 8.75" and my original is just under 7.5"….it weights twice as much. The clearance to the valve cover is small. Maybe a longer upper mount and bigger belt would drop it down enough.

All I have is some SBC mounts, both of them really...but doubt they would fit a BB....so you need about a inch or better, that means to ME, that a 12SI would fit....or go with the CS144? series, them things are really small, but my thing is that after my '87 vette running 3 alts outta there in the 3 years I owned it, I"m really gun shy over them things....I think it's supposed to be a CS130 though....not sure about any upgrades over the last 12 years or so....

sorry man, I feel like a idiot....

:suicide:

No it is still a problem. I did learn though that my electric draw is somewhere after the red wire from the alternator. I need to unhook my MSD box at the starter to see if the draw goes away. Not sure what to do about the alternator. I maybe could make it work with different brackets, but maybe not…then I would just have more money in it. Unfortunately since I could not get the wire kit locally I bought everything from rock auto, so I will have to ship it back to return it.