Innovate LM-1 WBO2 meter questions.

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
Recently put another O2 sensor bung in the exhaust pipe after the system mods to get the new muffler in last winter. I want to put the O2 sensor in there before the next track day, but I'm seeing some confusing things on the display. I looked at the Innovate website, but didn't see anything helpful, so I thought I'd post my questions here first before registering on their site.

I followed the directions in the quick start guide for initial calibration (I've used the unit before, but thought I'd do another calibration before this installation), but the display numbers look off. The O2 display says 19.1% (isn't atmospheric oxygen around 21% by weight?), and the lambda readout says 11.7 while the sensor is sitting in open air. Obviously I don't have a rich mixture in free air (so it can't be 11.7:1 A/F), so does this 11.7 number mean 11.7 times leaner than "normal" combustion byproducts at the usual 14.7 A/F ratio? Just trying to make sense of stuff so I can trust the readout when I'm on the track.

If someone can help me out I'd certainly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mike

Isn't there an option to test the sensor with the controller? I have a dynojet wideband and it will test the O@ when you want it to and see if it's still good. Yours looks to be kaput. The most commmon reason for failure is having it mounted too far forward, it needs to be about 35-40 inches from the exhaust port

Isn't there an option to test the sensor with the controller? I assume that's what the calibration button does. I would expect it to display 21% O2, and not the 19% it currently is showing. I have a dynojet wideband and it will test the O@ when you want it to and see if it's still good. Yours looks to be kaput. The most commmon reason for failure is having it mounted too far forward, it needs to be about 35-40 inches from the exhaust port

Yeah, I'm wondering about its accuracy.

It was mounted in the exhaust pipe after the Y (about a foot behind the trans crossmember). Given that it's a heated sensor, my understanding was that while being too close might be a problem, anywhere downstream a ways shouldn't be an issue.

Well, in the meantime, I'll start pricing a replacement just in case.

Isn't there an option to test the sensor with the controller? I assume that's what the calibration button does. I would expect it to display 21% O2, and not the 19% it currently is showing. I have a dynojet wideband and it will test the O@ when you want it to and see if it's still good. Yours looks to be kaput. The most commmon reason for failure is having it mounted too far forward, it needs to be about 35-40 inches from the exhaust port

Yeah, I'm wondering about its accuracy.

It was mounted in the exhaust pipe after the Y (about a foot behind the trans crossmember). Given that it's a heated sensor, my understanding was that while being too close might be a problem, anywhere downstream a ways shouldn't be an issue.

Well, in the meantime, I'll start pricing a replacement just in case.

Interesting, in that at idle on a ~80f day not much Florida breeze, before the IR gun daze, I measured <600f on the header collectors at idle in the driveway... and easy over that when running, noted the computer went open loop quite often...put in a Fuel pump wire to the O2 heater and it started staying closed loop quickly....if you got a IR gun you maybe want to meter that pipe that you getting 600f, be amazed how cold that shit gets not all THAT far down the pipes from the engine....

:cool:

I have HEARD of these sensors getting contaminated and needing some running to get right again...meaning HOT and lit off good....I can say that at idle it's not happening....

Last edited: